Schweitzer Mountain
Sandpoint, Idaho
Sandpoint, Idaho
February 14-18, 2014
Just a few days after our own snow day, we were excited and ready for a long weekend of snow play. Unfortunately, it had only been a few days since the boys battle with the stomach flu, so it isn't difficult to realize what I might be foreshadowing. Just as we were pulling out of the driveway, literally, my headache set in. I felt a bit woozy off and on during the drive, but after several hours, I could feel myself settling into vacation mode and I felt much better.
We arrived at Sam and Chelsea's cabin (read as large, fancy house on a golf course, a short drive from Schweitzer Mountain). This place was impressive, and comfortable (thank goodness!), and tastefully decorated with bears throughout the home. The evening was pleasant and I felt reassured that our weekend would be filled with food, friends, laughter and skiing, just as we had planned.
My stomach had different plans. A few hours into the night I awoke to one of my worst nightmares - getting sick, far from home, in someone else's house, on vacation. If I hadn't felt so crummy, I might have felt really sorry for myself. I'm not sure how our time with our friends was spent. I didn't leave my room for 36-hours. The kids, however, still fondly remember the visit and often ask when we get to visit the "bear shed" again.
While Sam and Chelsea had to return to work at the end of the weekend, we had planned to extend our stay in a condo right on Schweitzer Mountain. Feeling (mostly) human again, we packed up and relocated. With blizzard-like conditions, Allison and I spent most of our time relaxing in the condo, with a few quick trips out into the snow. The boys, braved the conditions and hit the slopes.
On our last day, it took a lot of work (by Steve) to get us packed up and on our way since we were basically snowed in - not a bad place to be snowed in either, by the way. The kids and I delighted at the extra opportunity to play in the piles of heaping snow just outside our condo. It was great to get outside and play before our long drive home.
Since I-90 closed just as we were approaching the pass, we were challenged with the decision to stay and find lodging somewhere close by, or drive south and cross the mountains over White Pass. We chose the latter. While it extended our 6+ hour drive to 10+ hours, it was a great decision. The kids were great travelers and I didn't do so bad myself.
There are only a handful of times, in my memory, that match the sense of relief I felt to return home and sleep in my own bed!
![]() |
| We watched Ski Joring in Sandpoint. |
![]() |
| Renting snow skies. |
![]() |
| Night skiing on on a slope in the village, just outside the rental shop was the perfect "first ski" experience for Allison. |
![]() |
| Peyton, getting a feel of his skies the night before his lesson. |
| Ski lesson - thumbs up! |
![]() |
| Riding the Magic Carpet like a pro. |
![]() |
| Peyton and Daddy enjoy a few ski runs together after the lesson. |
![]() |
| A proud, beginning skier! |
![]() |
| Allie and I pass the time crafting. |
![]() |
| Bears, bears everywhere. Both the cabin and condo were decorated with these memorable bears |
| Snowed in at the condo on Schweitzer Mountain. |
My favorite snow bunnies:













No comments:
Post a Comment