Monday, March 27, 2017

Wait, What? Kindergarten Registration?!

Today was a big day for Allison and me.  It was kindergarten registration day.  With months left of school, and a whole summer ahead of us, it seems early, but that's how the system works.  So, we headed on over to the school to drop off our registration packet (yes, there's a whole packet of forms).  Allison and I have recently walked by the kindergarten classrooms, just to look.  While curious, Allison also has felt shy and apprehensive.  Not today.  Today, she took her completed packet and marched right up to the counter, in the school office, to hand it over.  Among the pages of forms and information, there was a shiny, yellow star with the words, "I'm a Centennial Star" written on it.  She immediately wanted to pin it to her shirt and she has proudly worn it ever since.  She feels welcome and ready.  Now, how will we endure the long wait until school actually begins in the fall?!

I think I have been having a similar sentiment as Allison has had.  I've been feeling sad and apprehensive about this transition, as well.  There was definitely an excitement in the air today, although, I'm not feeling nearly as bright and shiny about the registration day this time around.  When it was Peyton's turn, I was more excited and ready, and I did still have Allison at home to keep my attention.  I'm not sure what next year will bring...mostly good things, I'm sure...but the uncertainty and expectation of filling my days with something meaningful and productive is weighing on me.  Plus, I've really, really, really (mostly) enjoyed staying home these past 8+ years AND it will feel very different sending both kids off to school all day AND my kids are pretty cool AND I like spending my time with them.  So there's that.  Maybe I just need a shiny, yellow start to pin to my shirt, too?!

Anyway, she's registered.  This next stage is happening.  Ready, or not.







No comments:

Post a Comment