Friday, May 5, 2017

Friday Funnies

Some of these sayings are dated, but I want to preserve these kid quotes and thoughts.  I will miss so much about the early philosophers and explorers I am raising, especially their open minds and free speech.  As my kids are getting older, they are starting to sensor and correct their own thinking (or, like Allison, be corrected by her big brother). We are entering into a phase that is often much more mature, sometimes scientific, sometimes abstract, sometimes thought provoking, and usually more edited.  Anyway, here is what I've organized from many months of scribbling on scraps of paper, post-it notes, and cell phone memos.  Enjoy!


4/12/17 - A: (listening to the song, 'Rainbow Connection' and heard the lyric, "it's only an illusion" when she abruptly looked at me, with a look of question and shock).
A: "What does THAT mean? A rainbow's not real? Is it like a mirage in the desert? I thought a rainbow was real from the rain and sun?"  Discussion followed.

2/25/17 - A: (After seeing Annie, the musical).
A: "I didn't like that he hugged her so much.  Sometimes when people hug it gives me butterflies in my tummy."

2/22/17 - A: "I want a new show [watching Charlie Brown].  This one is sort of violent.  Not really violent, but has some bad behavior, like My Little Pony."

2/6/17 - A: (Singing Frosty the Snowman).
A: "With a pork chop pipe and a button nose..."

1/28/17 - A: (Driving by the cemetery after visiting Papa).
A: "Papa's gonna be in there some day.  And that's where they keep their sins [ashes]."

1/12/17 - A (At dinner).
A: "Daddy, today I told all my friends at school that soon Papa, was going to die, but I forgot to tell them that Obama was a lame duck."

12/24/16 - A: (Pulling into the garage after church.  Suddenly.)
A: "How is Santa going to get in our house?  We don't have a chimney!!"

12/16/16 - A: (When asked what Christmas meant to her).
A: "Treats, presents, it's Gods birthday, it's when we love each other more than ever."

11/25/16 - A: (Eating lunch).
A: "I wish you could just put all that in my mouth, Dad, all that honey dripping into my mouth, mmmmmmmmmm!"

11/14/16 - A: (Looking a iPad keyboard).
A: "Mom!  This is interesting! Look!!! Why aren't the letters on the keyboard in alphabet order?" (Curious, she immediately carried the iPad to the computer keyboard in the kitchen to compare and noticed that they are black letters on white keys, instead of white on black like the iPad, but both are not alphabetical). "Why, Mom, why?"

10/25/16 - A: (In car on the way home from Boom Shaka, the trampoline gym).
A: "When we get home, I feel like I need to take all my clothes off and just be naked for the rest of the day."

10/15/16 - A: (In bath)
A: "Ducky wants a sanitizer drink."
Me: "A sanitizer drink?"
A: "Uh-huh.  She's so used to having it from everybody using it on their hands all the time that she wants some."
Me: "True." (She doesn't eve realize how right she is!)

10/2/16 - A: (Kids had been bickering & tattling).
A: "I didn't want Peyton to tell on me because I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!" (Wails louder).

9/19/16 - A: (I suggested she might like to pick out her first day of school outfit since we had UGM rehearsal after dinner and would be home late).
A: "NO! I DON'T WANT TO!  THAT'S THE WORST IDEA IN THE HISTORY OF MY LIFE!!"


9/12/16 - P: (After school).
P: "I mean, I like homework, it's just (Big Sigh), why can't we just do it at school?"

8/24/16 - A: (After trying gum AGAIN and immediately spitting it out AGAIN).
A: "(Sounding hopeful) Someday I might like gum." She says this EVERY time we have gum. "Gum? Can I try gum?" (Gum goes in mouth.  Gum touches her tongue.  Gum comes out of mouth. Spits.  Hopeful.) "Someday I might like gum."  EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

8/17/16 - P: (Listening to Pandora for the first time after our construction project).
P: "I just love music.  The spirit of it makes me happy."

8/15/16 - A: "I'm always excited! (Pause) Except when I'm sad, or mad."

8/15/16 - A: "I'm the pronouncer [announcer]!"

7/19/16 - A: (Description of dance camp).
A: "Fantastical!"

7/14/16 - A: "I'm good at picking boogers, by the way."  Me: "Ok."

7/11/16 - A: (In car, passing cemetery, after biking through it earlier in the day).
A: "We should get shells and make them into people so they look like our ancestors bones.  that way we have something to remember them."

6/17/16 - A: (In car to airport after last day of school.  A - talking non-stop).
A: "I wish I was a dust bunny."
Grama: "And where do you think you would be?"
A: "In a crate."
Grama: "And why do you think you would like that?"
A: "Because no one would bother me."
(Moments Later).
A: "Only listen to the things that make you happy.  Only listen to Gods plan for you.  Do you know what a bucket list is?  The things I want to experience before I die:
1) Have a Mohawk,
2) Have an earthquake in my house,
3) Experience a tornado"
Grama:  "Do you want to do any fun things?"
A: "Play the violin,
4) I want to be a rockstar, and a dentist, climb a tree, go in a hot air balloon, I want Mrs. Goode to be my teacher..."

The question was redirected to Peyton -
Peyton's bucket list:
"1) To write a book,
2) Go to New York,
3) See the Space Needle"
Grama: "How about the Eiffel Tower in France?"
P: "Oh yeah, definitely, definitely.  I've been wanting to do that my whole life."

6/16/16 - A: "I'm the kind of person who stands up for herself.  I like to concentrate really hard and just do the things I want to do."

6/13/16 - P: (Engrossed in train track/block building).
P: "Diesel 10 never gives up, but neither do we!"

6/12/16 - A: (Showed me a sign she made for her door while she was mad).
A: "DOT / KM" (Translates to: "don't come" with a  line to separate the words.  It wasn't finished.  She said she still needed to write, "in my room."  We talked.  If finished, she told me it would look like this: "DOT / KM AN MI ROM"

6/11/16 - A: (At soccer with her friend).
A: "If we need any advice, we can ask Peyton.  He's really good at soccer."

6/4/16 - P: "Do collegers stay at college all the time except for holidays and weekends?"  Deep discussion followed.


6/4/16 - P: (In car on the way to soccer).
P: "Allie, do not be nervous about other players because you do fantastic against brother.  You really do.  You just go get that ball...you're really great.  You really are."

5/29/16 - A: (Hiking/1st Overnight Backpacking Adventure).
A: (To Daddy): "When you were little, did you live in a barn?"
A: (Tired): "I knew I shouldn't have come backpacking today."
A: (Hungry): "I like skiing better.  It's not such hard work."
A: (Later): "I LOVE backpacking.  It's so amazing!"
A: (At river crossing): "Daddy, I don't mean to be mean, but I think if we're going to do this, we need to cross this river."
A: (Crossing river): "Um. I need some help here."
A: (At bedtime): "Mommy, how long is the night?"

5/8/16 - A: "'All's well that ends well', Mommy.  I've done this plenty of times."

5/6/16 - A: (Putting on sunscreen)
A: "It looks like you frosted my legs!"

5/5/16 - A: "This is kind of a disaster." (Re: preschool play date that didn't happen)

4/25/16 - A: "Popleeare" = popular

4/24/16 - P: "Maybe he's a 'crimeinal'?" (He meant criminal).

4/19/16 - P: Talking about huge dreams...life goals...wishing to be in college and wanting to live in his own "compartment." He seemed so mature, I was feeling a bit weepy wondering who this 7 year old was...and then, to keep it real, he didn't have the right word for apartment.

4/16/16 - A: "Teddy has 4 cheeks.  But, it's only appropriate to talk about 2.  You have 2 cheeks on your face and 2 cheeks on your bottom, but those are inappropriate to talk about."

4/11/16 - A: (Of her irritated finger).
A: "I thought only your ear could get irritated because 'ear-atated'...not 'finger-ated'"

3/20/16 - A: (Wanted to know what animals lived since there were dinosaurs.  Steve said we could google it.  A started to dance and wiggle and make googly faces).
A: "It means to google, like this."

1/3016 - A: (Whistling).
A: I'm trying to whistle, Mommy, but I can't.  I've already had my whistle for the day."
Me: "You only whistle once a day?"
A: "Yeah.  And I can't.  It won't let me!"

1/28/16 - A: (Yelling over the fence to the neighbor).
A: "How many seconds, or minutes, or days, will it take until you can play?"

1/28/16 - A: (We were outside on a walk/creative adventure and A shared that she was bringing home the imaginary alligator eggs she found).
Me: "Are you taking the eggs to eat, or to keep warm and hatch?"
A: "I'm keeping them warm in my warminator."

1/18/16 - P: (Watching the Seahawks vs. Carolina Panthers and he said something witty that I don't remember about the Carolina kitty-cats. We all got a good laugh.)

1/17/16 - A: (Driving on Crystal Mtn. Blvd.): "It's so snowy, Dad.  It looks like glitter falling from the sky."


No comments:

Post a Comment