Tuesday, January 22, 2019

F.E.A.R. and Winter Cheer Clinic

F.E.A.R. 
has two meanings:

1.  Forget Everything And Run
OR
2.  Face Everything And Rise

The choice is yours.


On Saturday, Allison participated in the OHS Winter Cheer Clinic for the 2nd year in a row.  When I received notification about the event several weeks ago, I mentioned it to Allison.  She was quick to respond, "No," and was adamant when I inquired further, "Don't bring it up to me again."  Surprised, because she was so determined to do this event last year, I hesitated, but because it came at a busy time of year for us, I was a bit relieved and I deleted the email.  

Fast forward a few weeks.  Allison came home from school talking about the cheer clinic her friends were going to do and how much she really wanted to do it, but also didn't want to do it.  I casually mentioned that she participated last year and really enjoyed it.  To which she responded, "I know.  I want to.  No.  Wait.  I don't know!"  This is becoming an all too familiar pattern when new opportunities and experiences present themselves.  I told her I was going to sign her up before the deadline passed and we could talk about it later.

Later arrived sooner than I was ready for, of course!  Her indecision and uncertainty was weighing on us both.  When she has felt that way in the past, she has been able to tell me what she is most worried about and make a plan.  So, that's what we did.  We made a plan to beat her stage fright. We revisited the photos and experience from last year and were reminded that even though she was feeling really worried and nervous, she was also excited.  In the end, she was so relieved and proud that she had stood up to her fear AND had a great time.  Assured that her feelings were normal and comfortable trying the morning clinic before committing to the halftime performance later that evening, she seemed at peace with her plan.  

When Saturday arrived, she expressed some nervousness, but no reluctance to attend and was thankful to have several friends there with her.  I know she really enjoyed the clinic in the morning.  Then, with her head held high, she walked with a bounce to her step, pony tail swinging, several feet in front of us, into the high school, eager to perform during half-time of the boys basketball game that evening!  Loving every minute, she smiled the whole time.  Having Grama, Uncle Gavin and Ella in attendance made it extra special.







Allison, rising up to face your fears is a hard thing to do.  We all struggle with this at different times in our lives.  Some of us more than others.  It is hard no matter who you are.  But, we all can do hard things.  Allison, you can do hard things.  Though I wish I could protect you from your fears, I can't.  I can, however, help you face them.  I will listen to you and support you on your journey and I will love you no matter what.  

No comments:

Post a Comment