Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree

Each year Steve and I debate whether or not to get a tree. For years we resisted the urge, felt only a brief sense of sadness, and then welcomed the overwhelming feeling of relief for making such a sensible decision - save a tree, save us time, save us money. Call me Scrooge if you like, I've heard it before. Well, this year the practical decision was to once again forego the outing to the Christmas Tree farm and so that's what we decided to do.

But that was Friday's decision and let's face it, if you've spent a day, even an afternoon, with me lately it's evident that I don't exactly remember conversations very well. So, for the sake of my case, I pretended I had "baby brain" yet again and declared that the "right" thing to do this year was to get a tree. Yep, it's for Little Dude, I decided. Feeling the need to justify the decision further, I continued. It's not practical, but when I look back in 10 years, I think I will regret not having one on Peyton's first Christmas. Besides, he'll like all the shiny lights we'll put on the tree. It'll be a learning opportunity. Yeah, it will help him to develop his senses...and motor skills (he may try to reach out and grab a thing or two). Ok, maybe that's stretching it a bit, but it will make for a nice family outing. So, that's what we decided to do.

On Sunday morning, after church, we ventured to the local farmer's market for the second year in a row.  We circled around the stand of precut trees (in the pouring rain, I might add), selected our tree of choice, and in minutes were back in the (warm) car, with our little tree strapped on top, heading home. Maybe it wasn't exactly the most interactive of family outings, but rain or not, we both agreed that we may just have started our first and best family tradition EVER! In our opinion, getting a tree curb side is the way to do it.

Santa came early to our house this year and...

...brought us the best gift of all: Peyton Andrew Russell (3 months).
(So we got a tree...now when will we get around to decorating it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment