Together, Peyton and I are learning to communicate more and more with signs and sounds. Although most of his words sound the same, we have learned a handful of these as well. It is surprising to witness how much he understands and does just listening to me speak to him. If I even suggest that we go outside, the next thing I know he's down the hall and trying to put on his hat or shoes. Or, if I mention his tractor, or a farm animal, like the sheep, he's off to find and play with them. He will tell me when he wants to eat or drink milk, when he wants more of something like music or to dance. Peyton loves to clap his hands when I sing "If you're happy and you know it," even before I get to the "clap your hands" part. When we sing "Head, shoulders, knees & toes" he is right on cue when it's time to point to his head, eyes, ears, nose and sometimes mouth.
Our favorite new word: gobble-gobble (as in "What does the turkey say?"). Each time he says it we both get the giggles. I think we both get a kick out of how the sounds in this word get caught up in and roll around in his mouth a bit before tumbling out all at once.
There are also those times when he watches me speak or sign so intently. I wonder what he's really thinking? Did he hear me? Why isn't he using these signs that I've shown him over and over again? In the desperation of those moments when I just don't seem to know what he wants, I do secretly wish he would just tell, in plain old, audible English. Then, one day, out of the blue, (usually the day after I decide signing isn't working and to stop all together), he uses them and/or says a word, like it's no big deal. It's enough to keep me inspired and so we are slowly building our vocabulary for communicating with each other. I love hearing him practice his "talk" in the backseat of the car, in his crib after a nap, during play time, all alone. I think he delights in this time almost as much as I do. It's like Christmas, each time he learns a new word, or sign. A special gift. Communication. For both of us: One step closer to being understood. One step closer to understanding.
Communication caught on camera:
Peyton continues to be so easy going and happy. That's not to say that there aren't signs of potential "tantrums" in our future. In fact, he does have an incredible back arch and he can throw back his head with stunning force and flare. No surprise that these potential tantrums seem to occur most often when our communications get lost in translation. However, at the moment, most of these tantrums can be headed off at the pass, or quickly deterred by distraction.
Not big on lingering cuddles, Peyton will occasionally give out a nice big hug or kiss for us. Like a cat, they're on his terms. We joke that we have to "steal our kisses" from Peyton. However, each of our very recent interactions with other kids seems to indicate that Peyton is quite the lover, not the fighter. He walked right in and sat down on the lap (literally sat in front of her and scooted himself backwards until he was on her lap) of a much younger little girl during Book Babies, at the local library. He also likes to hug and kiss his friends (old & new alike) during play dates in various locations. Who doesn't feel all warm and fussy from unsolicited hugs & kisses? Well, other than the unwilling recipients of this love, of course! They'll probably tell you otherwise. Although, a few of these recipients have returned his love. But, the general consensus among 1-2 year olds is, "Mommy, get - him - off - of - me! Now!" I kind of get a kick out of this lovable behavior.
That's all I can think of for now. Just wanted to make note before I forgot.



No comments:
Post a Comment