I had the pleasure of joining 6 other women, all of whom I greatly admire and respect, last weekend for a weekend get-away at Lincoln City, Oregon. I feel as if I used up all my words last weekend (you know how girls can gab) and now don't know what to say to describe the weekend except that it was much needed. I'm once again refueled and was more than happy to return home to my own two boys at the end of the weekend. I'm also still giddy, in the way that only quality time and talk with girl friends can make you feel.
Carabel - The Cadman's newest addition and
Our Home Away From Home

The home we evacuated so quickly after our early morning wake-up call due to the devastating earthquake in Japan, the aftershocks and the tsunami warning to follow. Heeding the call, Carra woke us with the news, "Um, guys, I think we should evacuate." Clearly disaster prepared, and quick to respond, Carrie called out to "grab only your wallet and your coat," to which I responded, adrenalin kicking in, "this is a true disaster!" or some such comment (before proceeding to also get dressed and make my bed, which was noted upon our return)! I did fail, however to grab our food.
Tsunami evacuation destination - McMinnville Starbuck's

I'm sure there was a closer "hill" to drive up, but as tourists who were uninformed about tsunami evacuations, we braved the crowded gas station lines to fuel up and ensure we had our emergency essentials (water, fresh bananas, almonds and dried apricots - yes, gas stations do have items other than Red Bull and packaged pastries) and that we were prepared for the worst. Then, we settled into our long drive away from any possible tsunami danger. Note, unless you know an "Uncle Fred" and are welcome at his farm up the hill, McMinnville is the next closest stop inland from the coast!

Back at the coast a few hours later, "Tsunami Hazard Zone" signs suddenly seemed real and purposeful.

And yet, without confirming our safety, we bravely ventured onto the beach to test the waters for ourselves.
Even after the disaster that might have been, the beach was beautiful,

Carrie and Carra

and the waves were still majestic,

but they suddenly seemed so much more powerful.
The rest of our girlfriends arrived later Friday, and Saturday and the greater part of our weekend was then passed inside the house, gabbing away, and enjoying ourselves immensely. There were no more tsunami evacuations, but the latter part of our adventure was no less memorable.

4 Proud Mama's - 1000 piece puzzle completed in 24 hours!

Robin, Carra, Brette and I:
Grateful for our generous friends and the baby shower they had for us.

Few things will interrupt good girl conversation and get us out of the house, but pedicures and fine dining did the trick for us.

Carrie, Carra, Robin, Brittany, Kate, Katie, Brette
It was unanimous - another weekend getaway is a must!
PS - Forgot to give credit in my original post to Carrie for sharing some of her photos from the weekend. Thanks, Carrie!
Looks like you girls all had a blast. It is so fun to see photos of everyone. All you mammas look great.
ReplyDelete