What's SUP?
Stand Up Paddle Board
We acquired our two stand up paddle boards about the same time we welcomed Allison into the world. Steve had a chance to test them out a bit last fall. For obvious reasons, they didn't see much (or any) action for several months following their arrival. Believe it or not, we finally had the chance to paddle around in the chilly Puget Sound waters not once, but twice, already this month.
The first outing was quite an adventure. Steve couldn't wait to get out on the water. He and Peyton set out alone (Allison and I arrived later, after a morning nap) and at the farthest point away from the launching point (my parents' beach), Peyton fell into the water. He reacted exactly as Steve had instructed him to - didn't panic, grabbed the paddle board and held on. Steve scooped him up and began the paddle back to the beach in what I can only imagine was a much quicker pace on the return trip, despite the cool headwind that really must have added insult to injury! At that point, the adventure was really only beginning. Peyton still had a nice long trek back up the beach trail, which is a bit of a climb and worked in his favor. The hike really gets your blood pumping and warmed his core a bit. Here is where I enter the story. Allison and I were just arriving at my parents and were searching the waters from the deck, trying to find the boys out enjoying their first paddle boarding experience together. I was surprised to hear their footsteps and voices climbing the last part of the beach trail to the house, instead of hearing them out on the water. Excited to hear the report, I asked how the outing went. Steve breathed deeply and seemed anxious, nervous, cold. I noticed the shivering. "Well," he said, "I'll let Peyton tell you about it." Through chattering teeth, and lips a deep purple, Peyton piped up, stuttering, yet cheerful, and very matter of fact, "We fell in! I'm c-c-c-old. I need to get in the bath." That's where the story ends for Peyton. I mustered up a bit of courage and took my first turn a bit later. After the sky filled with a few more clouds and the wind picked up a bit. It wasn't at all the hot, summer day that I envisioned for my first ride. It was, however, fun.
We had another chance to venture out again last weekend. It was a much lovelier day; warmer and successful. Without hesitation, Peyton was thrilled to give paddle boarding another try. During the week, Steve purchased Peyton a wetsuit (I wonder why we have one for Peyton who didn't seem to mind the cold waters, yet not ourselves???) which, thankfully, will be great, but wasn't fully tested this time. Here are the pictures I was able to take of Steve and Peyton on their second SUPing experience together.
Peyton summed up the experience perfectly with a nice little quote - that I didn't write down - so now have to paraphrase, "Uncle Luke would say, 'awesome paddle boarding, dudes!'"
If we've peaked your interest in the sport, we welcome our friends and family to come out and paddle with us some day. Uncle Luke is also the 'dude' you want to connect with if you find that you are wishing to add a paddle board or two to your gear collection. Check him out at FallLine Kiteboarding and SUP.


No comments:
Post a Comment