Friday, August 1, 2014

Frozen Friday


Our local Barnes and Nobel had a Frozen Friday event, so we went.  I have been feeling more strong and able, and the idea of Frozen event definitely caught my attention, so I thought, why not?  It was every bit as crowded and chaotic, confusing and overwhelming, as I feared, but also quite magical for my kids.  

Even though our timing was off most of the night and our assertive crowd mentality was lacking (come-on parents, this is a public event for our kids, please model some manners, respect and self-restraint).  Even though we knowingly seemed to provide our children with every opportunity for disappointment, despair, tears and tantrums, surprisingly, the whole family maintained their composure and dignity, and all with a smile.   We seemed to show up just about last to each craft station.  When I would have expected my children to melt down and fall apart from the sheer busy-ness and let down of the experience, they held it together and made the most of what materials were left to craft with.  We didn't wait in the very long line to meet Anna and Elsa after our turn to listen to the girls read aloud, Disney Frozen: A Sister More Like Me, by Barbara Jean Hicks, because we didn't want to stand around and wait any longer, and it was already way past our bedtime, a decision I was sure would unravel the final thread that held Peyton and Allie together.  But, with little protest, they agreed and we said our good-byes.  

Our saving grace was the dancers.  When all-else failed, we retreated to the dance corner.  They were a pleasure to watch.  Peyton and Allison seemed just as thrilled at the opportunity to see real, live ballerina's perform, as they were at catching a glimpse of Anna and Elsa in person.  Thank you, Johansens Olympia Dance Center!  

I am proud of my family for finding the magic that was there all along, and for allowing it to fill us up and warm our souls, before it encompassed us and froze our hearts.  Frozen Friday was a night to remember!



I might also want to re-think any future plans we may have for a trip to Disneyland!

No comments:

Post a Comment