Saturday, November 8, 2014

State Capitol

Steve and I had talked about taking the kids to the State Capitol for months (years).  Even though it's practically in our back yard, we rarely visit.  The campus is lovely any time of year and is a wonderful playground for kids.  Last Saturday morning, my parents took the opportunity to take the kids for a morning outing.  They visited the monuments and memorials, which was good timing with Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving just days away. We've had many interesting conversations on related topics (war, soldiers, patriotism) this past week, so I'm guessing they had some pretty serious discussions as well. We have also had an almost daily request from Allison, to visit the campus again soon.  

So, this Saturday, we took the kids on another morning outing to the State Capitol campus.  This visit was much less serious in nature - it was really an opportunity to be outside enjoying nature.  As the kids scootered around on the wide paths that cut through the manicured lawns and around the marble buildings, Steve and I followed along, in and out of conversation.  

It was a cool, foggy morning.  We had no where to be, no schedule to follow.  Letting my mind drift at times, I couldn't help but marvel at the beauty surrounding me.  As a child, my grandmother used to take my brother and I on leisurely walks through her neighborhood, across the pedestrian bridge, around the Capitol campus and back home to her house a few blocks away.  As a young adult, I regularly visited the campus at night to hang out with friends on the heated bench, enjoying my newfound independence and freedom, but barely giving the campus and Capitol Building a second thought.  As a college grad and intern for the Secretary of State, I visited daily with equal parts trepidation (feeling like a fake: a kid playing grown-up) and pride (this is the real deal, look at me, I work here) as I bounded the Capitol steps each morning en route to work.  Now, as a parent and teacher, I see this site, so close to home, as an educators dream.  There are educational opportunities under every leaf, around each corner, behind each door.  There's a unique kind of energy here, or maybe being here brings out a unique kind of energy in me.  Either way, we are lucky to share our town with the State Capitol.









No comments:

Post a Comment