Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Science, Exploration, Education, Controlled Chaos, Cousins and Life

The Science Fair was last night.  Each year it has come up, I've left the choice open for Peyton to make.  I usually have some version of the following conversation:  "Fun!  This is a great time to do some of those science experiments you've been asking about.  [Looking at the school form]  Hmmm.  This will be an interesting and fun activity for you to participate in someday.  [Looking at calendar]  Hmmm.  We have this, this and that already schedule into the coming weeks.  Yes, let's do some of our own science exploration, at home.  Just for fun!  What do you think?" Do you see what I did here?  I kind of road blocked the Science Fair, without him even realizing it.  Then, we enjoyed several science related activities.  It was messy, but fun, without the added stress of having to make it a formal learning experience.



Then, this year happened.

Peyton showed a bit more interest and aptitude for the written/presentation part having done a similar project in 2nd grade, taught and managed, by his teacher.  Plus, we inadvertently did a science fair type project, "How Much Sugar?" while we prepared for Steve's annual dental school education talks for the kids' classes, last month.  We took that research/data and repurposed it for this years Science Fair.







On Sunday, our dedicated "work on science project" day, Allison was up early. She had a school assignment she was eager to do:  Invite your family to help you make a leprechaun trap.  Awesome timing!  In a less than sympathetic tone, I shut her down.  This was not the day for another family project.  Fortunately, she was content to forge on alone.  (I'm feeling sad about missing out on this).




Peyton is a determined and dedicated learner.  He discovered that exploration leads to questions (and more questions).  He ventured, still further, to seek the answers.  Finally, with help from mom and dad, we organized all his great information onto his poster board.

Peyton was proud (and relieved) with his final product, and he should be.

Later, motivated and curious, Allison also wanted to do her own science, her own way.  She also was vying for my attention and time.  She was content to enjoy variations of the classic baking soda and vinegar experiment (while supplies lasted) and was happy to be on her way.

Allison proved capable and independent throughout the day and remarkably supportive.


I, too, was relieved! (and proud of both Peyton and Allison).  Yet, Sunday challenged me in so many ways.

In reflection, I was also totally unsure about my own participation.  Did I teach, or tell?  Help or hinder?  Do too much, or too little?  Did I focus too much on the process, or the outcome?  I have no idea, although my kids would probably tell you all of the above, AND they would probably tell you I lost a little bit of my mind, over a little bit of chaos, a little bit (or a lot) of the time!  Crafts, messes and needs were everywhere!  Every one had a need.  My head was spinning and I was trying to balance everyone's needs and maintain my own (this was the weekend after all!).  I had to apologize to Peyton at one point:  "I'm sorry.  I just don't feel like I'm being a very good teacher, or a mommy, right now.  I just need a moment.... " (trailing off as I disappeared). Of course he took this personally, and his body crumpled.  I could hear the tears, adding insult to injury.





Somehow we managed to forge on and Peyton was all smiles when he finished Sunday afternoon, just in time for a brief visit from family passing through town.

I may still be recovering...and there are still crafts and messes everywhere!






When I asked him later about his experience, he seemed positive about it and didn't seem to remember/remind me that I nearly lost my mind (and almost took him down with me).  That's a plus.






He was all smiles and confidence at the Science Fair.  Another plus.  At the end of the evening I even over heard him tell Steve, "I don't mean to brag, but I think I did a really great job answering all those questions!"  Yes!  Self-praise and self-confidence.  Is this not the greatest achievement of them all?









Once again, I'm humbled by the fact that I still have so much to learn about parenting and life itself.  Thankfully, I have pretty amazing kids who are patient and loving; kind and forgiving!  They are smart and witty;  capable and proud.


They teach me about what's most important.  They challenge me to be a better parent; a better person, really.  They do this every single day - just by being their own unique selves.  I'm so thankful for them.  (I'm also thankful last weekend has come and gone!)


No comments:

Post a Comment