Thursday, March 22, 2018

Sometimes they even listen!

A fair amount of bickering is back and bouncing off the walls here, but there has also been an abundant amount of teamwork, love, cooperation and respect shared freely these past few weeks.  


In just this week alone, a smattering of yelling, name calling, feet stomping and pouting was exhibited, but for the most part, the kids worked through these tantrums and tirades without much parent involvement.  Yay!

Plus, while playing outside earlier this week with a couple of neighborhood boys, I witnessed Peyton checking in on Allison (whose feelings had been hurt), and then telling his friends, "It hurts Allison's feelings when you do _______.  She wants you to stop doing that.  How about we all do _______ instead?" 

Later, Allison told me, "I like to play _______, but I also want to be supportive of brother, so I'd rather do what he wants to do right now."


Wow!  Just when I start to feel hopeless, believing that no one hears me when I talk, my kids prove me wrong.  They do hear me.  Sometimes they even listen.  Occasionally, they put my suggestions to use.  When it works, not only do they feel good, but I feel good.  Really good!  Actually, when I see and hear my kids work through life's trials in positive ways, I feel AMAZING!


Then they make us love notes and homemade gifts that just make my heart feel like it might burst.  



When my kids share this spontaneous, unprompted love and adoration for each other, the world, my world, seems to right itself for a moment.  

For all the wrongs happening around us, something right is happening (2 somethings, actually - Peyton and Allison!) right before my very eyes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment