Peyton still attacks feeding times with great enthusiasm and latches to any exposed skin (arm, neck, chest, cheek) like a champ with aggressive purpose..to latch and not let go. Thus the nickname, Barracuda. He transfers this same suckling intent to his binky, which may be a root cause in the sleep issue?!
This kid is also a mover and a shaker. Keeping him in constant motion is to keep him in a constant state of bliss and happiness (and me in a constant state of amusement and exhaustion). He's kinetic and I guess it's genetic! Apparently, I was much this way as a baby and you know what they say about payback? It's a...well, anyway.
From wiggles to giggles. Our Little Dude also loves to flash his adorable full faced, gaping, gummy smile. Can you guess which parent he got his smile from? Definitely Daddy! Often his musical giggle will accompany his smile. For the first time in my life someone actually finds me funny! I love hearing this sound. It makes my heart swell to know he's having so much fun, but also because I am too. Well, that's just one more beautiful thing about this mom and baby relationship - most of the time the joke's just between us!
Tae Boy can talk and talk and talk...wears me out just thinking about it. The place and time of his conversations do not matter in the least; the audience isn't always necessary either. He can talk to himself immediately upon waking, or during play time. He'll share an idea or two during mealtime and put in his 2 bits during adult conversation. It's fascinating to watch him practice facial expressions (definitely a Mommy trait) and volume (definitely a Daddy trait). While still sounding foreign to us, the meaning is often made crystal clear in his tone. I can already see how closely he watches and processes how Steve and I talk and communicate and then practices what he sees. Yikes! "Practice what you preach" and "Do as I say, not as I do" take on a whole new meaning.
When presented with new people or things Little Dude processes with interest and intensity and fearlessly gets acquainted. Someday the shyness may present itself, but not right now.
Little Dude is definitely a "dude" in the way that he plays with us and his toys. He's aggressive and physical with his whole body and if you are within arms reach, watch out! Little Dude is not aware of his own strength. His pinchers are particularly dangerous!
Finally, I am reminded once again this evening how determined and stubborn he can be (or maybe how easily I am manipulated is more accurate). For 3 glorious nights in a row we have enjoyed a simple pleasure: sleep. Our first taste was Monday night when we were granted 7 hours in a row, followed by 10 and 9 on Tuesday and Wednesday. Then, tonight happened. Many of you have sent good vibes, great suggestions and requested updates on our sleep project. I've been avoiding it. I'll have to face my fears and admit my weaknesses in another blog altogether. For now, how peaceful and soundly he was sleeping at 7:30 this evening, and again at 8:30 (after a sudden, yet brief cry). Not a great start. The night wasn't looking good. Just as Steve and I were heading to bed, our eyes just barely adjusted to the dark, the cries rang out once again, loud and clear. We both just wanted it to stop...I quickly leapt from bed...but the voice in the back of my head recalled the pact we had made this week: let him cry. Stupid pact, I thought. This seems so much easier to do in the light of day. Before the sheets could get cold, I crawled back into bed...to wait it out...it is now past midnight with no end in sight. I've thrown in the towel and will do anything at this point to restore the peace and quiet that once filled our home. Despite my best efforts, Peyton will not calm down and go to sleep. For the worry worts out there, no he doesn't have a temperature, I've changed his diaper - clean and dry, we've even nursed to no avail. Having taken a brief intermission, I'm off to try again. Wish me luck!
I LOVE the nickname Tae!!!!
ReplyDelete