Steve and I also are celebrating 6 years of marriage today, September 6, 2009. I was never big on the anniversary celebrations. It felt selfish. I preferred to count my blessings during private and joyful moments throughout the year. This year feels different.
I forgot to notice, acknowledge and count my blessings more often than I care to admit. I faced more personal challenges and character flaws than I am ready, even now, to share. I devoted all the energy I was able to dig deep and find to my son and unfairly to my husband and myself. Too easily I put my relationship on the back burner to simmer and wait for a more convenient time, a time when I felt better, had more energy, had taken care of all the other pressing things on my mind.
I swallow my pride when I admit that while EVERYONE else makes it look WAY TOO EASY: love, marriage, babies - these things are HARD WORK people. Hands down, the happiest year of my life has also been the hardest. It is with this new perspective that I look at my anniversary date as one worth cheering for.
Steve:
Thank you for the work you do that allows me to lead the life I choose. Thank you for pushing, pulling, persuading, prodding and practically dragging me out on many of your adventures - I've never been sorry for coming along. Thank you for being the father of our son. While there have been days this year that have felt kind of rocky, I wouldn't have taken any other road to get here. Today, I choose you.
Happy Anniversary!

No comments:
Post a Comment