What I am struggling to appreciate are the other things. Things like: brushing his teeth, washing his hands, or wiping his own bottom, for example. It's great that he's willing and able to do these things himself (mostly). It saves me time and makes him feel proud. But there's always the issue of good hygiene. I want to encourage his independence and foster his sense of self worth, without discouraging his will to try and succeed (and jeopardizing the cleanliness and health of our household)! I don't want to be brushing his teeth, and wiping his bottom for decades to come, but in the present, for obvious reasons, I really want to maintain my standards!
Friday, May 11, 2012
Quality Control
As Peyton is becoming more and more independent, which I want to support, I'm having to learn to let go of my quality control. There are some issues where this is fine by me, like dressing himself. I find it helpful and humorous at the same time. Underpants on inside out and backwards? Uncomfortable, maybe, but fine. Full outfit over pajamas? Odd, but not a problem. Sweatshirt and sweatpants on an 80 degree day? He'll figure that one out for himself in a matter of time. Shoes on the wrong feet? Cute and a conversation piece. Besides, when it's his rain boots that are backwards, it really does help to keep them from falling off of his feet! I love that he is often excited and willing to dress himself, and do many other helpful things: wash dishes, bathing, help cook and bake, yard work, anything that involves building or fixing. I can even appreciate the time - a snails pace - that it sometimes takes to complete these tasks.
What I am struggling to appreciate are the other things. Things like: brushing his teeth, washing his hands, or wiping his own bottom, for example. It's great that he's willing and able to do these things himself (mostly). It saves me time and makes him feel proud. But there's always the issue of good hygiene. I want to encourage his independence and foster his sense of self worth, without discouraging his will to try and succeed (and jeopardizing the cleanliness and health of our household)! I don't want to be brushing his teeth, and wiping his bottom for decades to come, but in the present, for obvious reasons, I really want to maintain my standards!
Like all issues, these shall pass as the next round of worries roll into my mind. In the meantime, I will try to let go of my quality control issues and help Peyton to learn to be a helpful, more independent, little dude. Please help me find the patience in the meantime. Suggestions for a good bathroom cleaner, or disinfectant are always welcome as well!
What I am struggling to appreciate are the other things. Things like: brushing his teeth, washing his hands, or wiping his own bottom, for example. It's great that he's willing and able to do these things himself (mostly). It saves me time and makes him feel proud. But there's always the issue of good hygiene. I want to encourage his independence and foster his sense of self worth, without discouraging his will to try and succeed (and jeopardizing the cleanliness and health of our household)! I don't want to be brushing his teeth, and wiping his bottom for decades to come, but in the present, for obvious reasons, I really want to maintain my standards!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment