Peyton, not one bit concerned that his parents might leave him for the evening.
"What's all the fuss about? Go already. Just come home in time for dessert!"
(Truth be told: there are no actual pictures from the night. This was taken a couple days before)
Date night: Even before the baby we weren't very good at making this happen. Ordering pizza for delivery and watching movies at home was our idea of a date. Time after time I would fall asleep just minutes into even the best of movies and Steve would watch alone. Hardly romantic, but neither am I. Some may call it (or me for that matter) boring. I like to think of it as practical. Going out on the town with others was fun and easy, but dinner and a movie just the two of us, was a rare event. Now, with a baby it, well, we tried it.
For several weeks my mom gently broached the topic. Smart woman that she is she first spoke very generally of the future and how one day Steve and I might actually enjoy getting out of the house alone. I nodded, not quite listening. Actually, like most conversations I've had in the past 11 weeks I listened to every word. Unfortunately, it's the hearing part I've been unable to master. Eventually her generalities became gentle nudging, "Katie, one of these weekends you're going to want to get out and enjoy a little alone time with Steve." Still listening, but not hearing, I believe my response was something like a loose nod of the head and a mumble similar to, "yah, yah, whatever." Lastly, I recall her looking at me point blank, "Katie, you need to get out of the house and take Steve with you." Ok, maybe those weren't her exact words, but that's what I eventually heard. Progress. Being the wise daughter that I am, I took the advise. I looked ahead at the calendar, picked the date, Saturday, November 8, 2008, and penciled (note the pencil I used, not pen, so as not to commit) my parents in for babysitting.
Problem 1: I forgot to tell Steve. At some later date, but prior to the actual "Date" Steve asked me what "Date Night" on the calendar meant. For clarity, I had to ask if he was wondering what "Date Night" was in general, or this specific "Date Night." To reiterate, we don't do "Date Night" so you can see my confusion, and understand his. After we sorted ourselves out Steve honestly questioned our priorities (gotta love his honesty). "Katie, do we really have to go out? Can't we just have your parents come watch the little guy so we can get some sleep?" Brilliant, but not the point. I was almost persuaded (sleep did seem more important) but I stood strong. Well, as strong as two words, that are only penciled on paper to represent a plan that had not been detailed or executed, can be.
Problem 2: Again, we had no plan. My parents arrived on said "Date Night." I was in my jammies (which, according to Steve's thinking, would have been perfectly acceptable attire for the night). Steve was in his grubbies. Were we in denial? There was still time to abort the mission and deep down we both may have been trying to sabatoge the night. Pizza and a movie anyone? My mom swept in and took charge. Steve eventually made reservations at a restaurant (my mom's suggestion) and we both made ourselves presentable. We enjoyed a nice dinner that for some reason was over in record time, yet seemed like an eternity. Now that we eat dinner in shifts and scarf our food down, faster each night it seems, sitting together at the table and waiting patiently between courses is an eternity! Still, we were paying our bill less than hour after we arrived. Now what? Steve's thought, "We could still go home and get some sleep while we have your parents watching the little guy." Good thinking, but no. Since we were passing the Olympia High School football stadium on the way home, and they just happened to be playing the first of their playoff games, and this was almost as exciting to us as catching up on the much needed sleep, we stopped. We did not go in however. We joined the lonely group of people congregating outside the fence to watch. My thinking, "Let's not commit ourselves. Sleep may still be more exciting." At half time, sleep won over. Side note: the Oly Bears won this game. Go Bears!
Problem 3: Do we have to go home? It was only a fleeting thought, and I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I had it none the less. "Since we know my parents are at my place, maybe we could just sneak into their house and sleep peacefully." Another brilliant thought, but no!
My parents all but drove us to the restaurant that night, but that's not important. What's important is that we left the house AND did eventually return home AND we had a pretty good time in between.
Thanks, Mom and Dad!
Katie,
ReplyDeleteNice story! Not 100% true, but a nice story. Just so everyone knows, Katie is the sole author of this blog and therefore it is inherently biased:)
The game was my idea all along (I know, also not romantic), and staying home to sleep was just as much her idea all along!
Steve
As I read your "date night" blog I started thinking about "The River". You have returned to that place where the head waters of a great river begin anew. You have transcended from self to selfless. Your small stream and springs are only now starting to flow out of the mountain of your new beginning and, in the beginning, as the water course builds into a river you are going through bolders and other debris as the river charts its course.
ReplyDeleteDon't believe you can control the force of the water or the direction the channel makes as it flows toward the sea.
Hold on to each other and imagine your life as it flows down the river. Sometimes the river will be calm and even flowing. Other times one of you will be pulled away into an eddy or moved more swiftly by an unexpected current.
Just know that you are in uncharted waters. Be patient. Say what you need to say. Be problem solvers. Because, no matter what, that river is going to keep flowing and flowing.
I love all 3 of you dearly
Dad