Come to think of it, my real worry wasn't about Steve and Peyton, but about me. Would I be OK for a few hours away from my boys? Would I know what to do with myself for the evening? Would I still be able to have an "adult" conversation? Would I fall asleep staying up so late? Would my milk "come home" before I did?
It took me forever to get into the car that night. Steve patiently listened to my suggestions of what they should do for the evening. He nodded and smiled at all the right places to humor me. I eventually did get into the car and away I went. Our book club gathering was pretty far away and I wasn't sure if I would have cell phone coverage. So once I arrived at my destination, at Steve's suggestion (OK, so maybe he was a bit anxious about me being gone after all) I sent him a text message to make sure he could reach me - just in case. His short reply came back to me all too quickly. "Just chillin,'" he said. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry (OK, they didn't really need me). I took a deep breath and determined if the boys could do it, than so could I, "just chill" that is.
Of course, I was just fine, more than fine really. I had a great time with the ladies and was so glad to be there. I was also glad to leave. The answer to all of the above questions is a confident "yes." Especially the last one about the milk. Ready or not, it was time to "come home." As we were saying our "thank yous" and "goodbye's" I received another text from Steve, "Baby screaming," it read. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry (OK, they really do need me)!!
I was proud of myself for surviving the big adventure and really proud of the boys for surviving theirs. Oh, and while it never feels good to hear or know your baby is screaming, I have to admit that it felt so incredibly validating to know that I was needed!!
LOVE it...he truly is "just chillin" :)
ReplyDelete