Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanks Giving List

I woke up, perhaps on the wrong side of the bed, today (and yesterday and the day before...yikes)! As I was trying to juggle completing a multitude of tasks before my son woke up, it occurred to me, and not for the first time, that I was going about the day all wrong. This is a lesson I learn and relearn far too often. I just don't know why it doesn't stick! While feeling irritated at the unfinished tasks and obsessing over the constraints, I was missing out on a beautiful morning and a wonderful opportunity to just be thankful.


This is such an important reminder for me throughout the year, but as the days continue to get shorter and colder and the busyness of the holiday season begins to weigh down on me, I need to be reminded, almost daily it seems, to slow down and count my blessings. When I get too tired and overwhelmed I start to slide down the slippery slope of doom. Sometimes, when I look closely, my glass is less than half full, probably of murky water, and may even have a crack or two! I acknowledge that this is not my best quality. It's at these moments that I need to remember that I am so very fortunate to have a choice in how I see the world and in the way I live. So, today I have decided to make my "Thanks Giving" list:

1. My son - You've fulfilled me in more ways than I ever imagined were possible. You are an amazing gift.
2. My husband - Today I choose you. I love and am thankful for you in so many ways, but at the moment I'm so thankful for your job and your support so that I don't have to go back to work unless I want to.
3. My parents - You are incredibly thoughtful, selfless and supportive parents/grandparents.
4. Gavin and Hazel - Now that I have a baby Seattle seems so far away. I am so thankful that it really isn't too far for you to come home for the holidays. I treasure my time with you.
5. My extended family - I'm lucky to have so many members living right here in town and willing and able to be a part of my life (In-laws, aunties & uncles, cousins galore)!
6. My family far away - A blessing, despite the distance.
7. My girl friends - You are ALL so strong, intelligent, determined, compassionate, understanding, supportive, role models and leaders. Am I worthy? I guess that's why I'm so thankful to know each of you.
8. My neighbors - for the endless home made dinners and gifts after Peyton was born.
9. My diaper service
10. My education
11. Choices/Change
12. My iPhone

Every day should be a "Thanks Giving" day! What are you thankful for today?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the family picture and the great post! We're thankful for great friends like you guys as well. Hope you had a nice holiday!

    Looking forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete