Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Bland Week Seasoned

Peyton dolled up in his winter overalls and his Air Jordan sneakers. Looking this sporty, Steve couldn't resist taking Peyton to his office on Friday to show him off! Ok, maybe it was me who couldn't resist the field trip opportunity?!

I was reminded by 2 different people this week that I hadn't posted a blog in at least 7 days. Oh my! I'm not sure if I should be flattered, or not. Yep! I guess I could use a little flattery these days so I'll take it as such. First, I'm flattered that people are actually reading the blog. Second, I'm flattered that they are reading so diligently that they notice when I don't blog.

This week has been a bit of a blur. Truth be told, it was a bland week seasoned with both good and bad moments and very little sleep (again!). Preferring the high road today, let's focus on highlights. There are 3. My birthday party last weekend, a midweek play date and the welcome change of plans this weekend.

Last Sunday jump started us into action with a bit of a birthday celebration for yours truly. You know times have changed when you look forward to your 11am birthday bash. No, that was not a typo! Yes, we celebrated in the morning, on purpose!

The newest additions to the group and reason we now celebrate so early in the day:
Corbin (5.5 Months) and Peyton (4.5 Months)

Our dear friends the Alston's, Bishops, Elliott's and Gossett's made the short jaunt down from the Seattle area to join us for brunch. The spread was scrumptious (thanks, ladies, for chipping in to help) and the company was grand. We called it a successful celebration around 1pm and our friends were out the door as quickly as they came. Again, times sure have changed...but I digress. It felt great to have a house full of guests, a buzz of voices, the gurgle of babies, a hum of activity - the sounds of sheer happiness. In that moment I felt just that, happy.

Ashlie, Kirsten (Corbin's Mom), Wendy (co-birthday girl), Natalie and I celebrating the day!

We spent the rest of the day recovering!

Peyton and I before our walk, or was it after?
No, definitely before because neither of us have our usual after walk rosy cheeks.

Peyton and I welcomed the company of another dear friend, Amy, and her darling daughter, Lyla, for a play date of sorts mid-week. This of course was really a chance for us "moms" to get-together being that my 4-month old and Amy's 14-month old don't really "play" together just yet. They really just "watch" each other. I didn't realize how much I was needing a friend. When Steve returned home at the end of the day he commented on how happy I was (what I'm sure he really meant was that I was pleasant to be around for a change). Steve was right, in that moment I felt just that, happy. Thanks, Amy!

Enjoying our "bonus" family time this weekend.

Finally, beat down from responsibility and dead tired from lack of sleep, Steve decided to shorten his weekend trip and leave on a later flight to meet his friends for a weekend in Tahoe. Unfortunately, there was no later flight available. So, his trip was cut really, really short - he did not go. Yippee for me! Instead of a really, really long weekend single parenting, Steve, Peyton and I have the rare opportunity to enjoy a long weekend together! When he discovered his fate on Thursday night, the bags under his eyes receded ever so slightly, a hint of color returned to his cheeks, I think I may have heard a sigh of relief and the rasp was no longer evident in his voice. Reality hit and I think he knew that he had made the right decision, as hard as it was. In that moment I was happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment