Day 1 (and before): First Solids
A Prequel to "Solids on St. Patty's Day"
A Prequel to "Solids on St. Patty's Day"
It seems silly that a non-cook, such as myself, would want a cooking gadget - ah, the sacrifices one makes for their child - but I did. Once I made the decision to make my own baby food, I was a bit overwhelmed at exactly how to do it. It wasn't just the act of making it, but how to find the time and energy to do it, that overwhelmed me. Then, I came across BABYCOOK in the Williams Sonoma catalog. At first I prejudged it as another overpriced baby gimmick that I would never buy. On second thought, however, my birthday was coming up and I decided that it was just the kind of gift a birthday girl deserved. So, for my birthday, Steve bought me BABYCOOK.
BABYCOOK was marketed well and I was hooked with these words, "...specifically designed to prepare healthy meals for your baby, simply and rapidly..." Simple AND rapid? What else? I thought. "BABYCOOK cooks, reheats and defrosts food by steaming..." It had me at cooks, but since it reheats and defrosts I was especially pleased.
For 6 weeks it just sat unopened...
...until the time was right...
...and last weekend was BABYCOOK time!
The thing is, this baby food maker really does all the work in such a way that I can't screw it up, even if I try! I love it and highly recommend it to any of you new moms out there who want to give homemade baby food a try. It's cute, small and really does work. Honest.
So far I've made zucchini, peas and sweet potatoes. I can't guarantee that your baby will like the product because we haven't given them all to our baby Barracuda yet. We started with zucchini and even though I'm not a big fan, I put on my happy face, made a dramatic show of pleasure and fed it to him. Much to my surprise and pleasure he ate the whole thing (see previous Solids on St. Patty's Day post for a visual of this event)! We had the same experience with the sweet potatoes. I'm personally gaga for the sweet potatoes - we may be eating pureed sweet potatoes right along with Peyton they're that good - and the peas weren't so bad either. Can't wait to make and try more. This weekend: carrots, pear and apple. Yummy.
I'm even more "green" than I thought I was. It started with cloth diapers and now here I am making my own baby food. Who knew?
No comments:
Post a Comment