Monday, March 16, 2009

Rockin' and Rollin' and What-not

In 3 days we went on 3 outings and now we are 3 tired Russell's! Phew!

1 tired Russell

Last week I was in a bit of a funk. Peyton's struggle to get his internal clock back on track with ours (post travel, time change and the additional lost hour last weekend for daylight savings didn't help). Cranky and exhausted I longed for the weekend to just do nothing. Apparently the weekend had a different plan for us. Something turned out to be better than the nothing I had hoped for. It wasn't a restful weekend, but it sure was fun. A little fun can go a long way when you're in a funk.

Here's what we Russell's were up to:

Friday: Grandma and Grandpa Parr had the honors of cuddling our cranky kinetic kid for the evening while we went out with another couple. It was league night at the bowling alley so on a whim we decided plan B would be a night at Skateland. (Thanks to our friends up north for the inspiration!)

Evening high: entering the speed race. Evening low: entering the speed race.

Steve and I decided it would be fun to race and so accepted the challenge to do so in the 14 and older speed race event. After a serious taunting by the 12 year old (or was he 10?) at the start line we both lost. Despite the fact that I spent an entire summer skating everyday at Skateland (I was in a musical called Starlight Express, which is all about trains and was performed on roller skates, seriously), I still fell quickly behind and finished "Last in Line." Staring at the rear of the faster skaters I had a scary flash back to my Starlight Express summer.

Ironically I was a caboose in Starlight Express and my name was LIL (Last in Line). I'm still totally serious. The big show stopping scenes were the train races where we linked together 5-6 people to form our trains and then sped around the rink (and the audience that was seated in the middle). Here's the flashback: I was a caboose, so obviously I was the last link. Except, I was never fast enough to catch my own train. So while my train was racing the other trains, I was madly trying to chase my own train down. Embarrassing? Definitely. On the nights that I actually caught up before the scene was over, I would hold on for dear life because being at the end of a speeding train is a scary place - especially on a fast corner. Lucky me!

I wasn't nearly as embarrassed losing this race, as I was 20 years ago. Both were equally exhilarating! For the first time ever, on Friday, I won something for my skating talents. I was, after all, the fastest (and only) girl in the race. Lucky me!

For all you former Skateland groupies out there, let it be known that they still do a mean Hokey-pokey and yes it looks exactly the same - EXACTLY: Same carpet, same vending machines, same skates, same fun.

Saturday: Nana and Papa Russell braved the cold and came over to tuck Tae Boy into bed while we enjoyed a dinner out with friends before surprising another friend on her 30th birthday. Two nights, two dates, too tired to do anything else (or was I?).

On Sunday, 3" wasn't enough.
We headed to the mountains for more. Lots more!


Sunday: Steve awoke early to make it up to the mountain for some "killer pow-pow" and "fresh tracks." Without thinking, I asked if Peyton and I could come along? In 45 minutes we packed the 3 of us up and into the car for a day at Crystal Mountain. Since we were in a rush, Steve promised to treat me to breakfast at McDonald's.
Thank you, Sweetie.

With the extra baggage and only the one stop, Steve was on the hill by 11:00am! (Latest start time ever, Steve?) At least the masses were starting to come in to crowd the lodge for a lunch break leaving Steve more room to roam, I suppose. I know because I enjoyed breast feeding in the crowded lodge while smelling the roast beef sandwich of the guy sitting 6 inches from me (he was practically in my lap) and could almost taste the beer being passed around by the nice, but stinky, group of 30 something dudes sharing my table. Peyton is not a fan of the "hooter hider" I use in public to make nursing more discreet. He aggressively tugged it off to see all the action happening around him. I tried just as hard to keep it on. Maybe that's why, even when there was an open table somewhere else, everyone seemed to want to sit by me? Yuck! All in all it wasn't so bad, and some nice mom-types chatted me up as well. After the lunch crowd dissipated, Steve came in and took a turn with Peyton, so that even I was able to take a few runs on the hill between feedings.

Daddy and Peyton chillin' in the lodge before heading out for a quick snowshoe outing while Mommy skiied.

Steve, it wasn't the ski day you dream about, but I think it was a pretty fun family outing, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment