Monday, July 20, 2009

Get Out! Get Moving!

Our weekend plans were once again amended. Instead of heading up to Whistler, BC, as originally planned, we stayed home. Our compromise for canceling our weekend away: Get Out! Get Moving! And we sure did.

Canceling Whistler was a blessing in disguise, really. We didn't have to: stress over the packing (me), the long drive (me), managing everyone's expectations once we got to Whistler (me, again), make the necessary daily accommodations for our new and temporary weekend home (still me). We traded all this to enjoy adventures right out our own back door, to sleep in our own cozy beds, to enjoy the benefit of a babysitter to make all this possible (thanks, Mom) and because of the change in our plans, we were available for a spontaneous BBQ with Gavin and Hazel. Staying home was a great decision.

Daddy & Tae Boy discussing weekend plans.

Here's how the weekend played out. Steve and I each got to pick an adventure and my mom (the only available grandparent this weekend) got to put all of her plans on hold to babysit, as needed. Boy did we take advantage of her (thanks again, Mom)!

Friday was ladies choice and this lady chose to kayak. My mom was home and she has the kayaks, so we drove on over and left Peyton with Grandma while we headed down to the beach. It's a very convenient arrangement. A win-win for all - at least I hope it is.

Note: This picture was from a previous kayak trip a couple of months ago when it was 25 degrees cooler outside. I didn't actually take any pictures this trip. Still, it provides a visual.

It was gorgeous and hot paddling out on the water. I had a moment of inner peace and feeling like I was living the life - cruising along, just me and the hubby, catching up on chit-chat, feeling the hot sun on my face, taking in the incredibly surreal view. Then, Steve mentioned to me that he felt like we were on a Sunday drive (which I immediately took offense to and assumed, incorrectly, that he meant there just wasn't enough action for his taste). Suddenly, as if on cue, to put him in his place, the strong winds swooped in unannounced and rather than blowing with us, challenged us head on. We sure enjoyed the chance to cool off from the 90 degree heat, but the paddle home was down right hard. Steve, dear, I'm not sure what kind of Sunday drives you went on as a kid, but that sure wasn't the kind we took in our family! Of course we couldn't let my mom eat alone after babysitting all day for us. We sure had worked up an appetite as well. So, we let her cook a delicious meal for us before sending us home for the night. A lovely end to a wonderful day. Kayaking was a blast!

Grandma & Peyton passing the time together while Mommy & Daddy kayaked

Saturday the man of the house made his selection. He chose mountain biking. I have not ever been mountain biking. In fact, I haven't even been on a road bike in several years. You know what they say about riding a bike? I was hoping it was true. I was somehow convinced to go on this adventure with arguments like, "it's nice and easy - just a few rolling hills,"and "a bunch of the neighbor kids did it." Besides, it was a neighborhood outing. There's no time like the present to meet the neighbors, eh? Since Steve had roped my mom into babysitting, again, this adventure was going to be possible. I think I asked her like 10 times if she would be playing tennis or in some way unavailable. Nope. She was free and happy to do it. Lucky me.

Meeting the neighbors - Mountain biking Capitol Forest

Just moments before take off I received a crash course to mountain biking and a run down of the chosen trail. The technical stuff went a little something like this: Keep the something on the something and just use the something. Don't do this this and this. Do this. Blah. Blah. Blah (What the? Huh? I'm totally screwed). The trail: the first part of the trail is a bit tricky. (Tricky? Now what exactly does that mean?) Watch out for the big tree root at the bottom of the first steep hill. (Tree root? Steep hill?) Don't hit the breaks too hard or you'll go over the handlebars, but don't be afraid to go slow (how do you go slow without the breaks?) Have fun! (Gee. How can I not?)

And so, I began my Saturday morning at the top of a very steep, very narrow, very wooded path. On a bike. Not even my own bike. Not even one that fit me all that well. Not even one that I had taken for a quick spin around the neighborhood just to get the feel of riding a bike again. Why was it that I didn't test ride it beforehand? Not exactly my best decision ever. As I watched 7 of my neighbors and then Steve barrel straight down in front of me and then disappear, I wasn't sure whether to scream or cry, or both. My mouth was dry so I probably couldn't have let out a scream even if I wanted to. My legs were visibly shaking. I looked all around for another alternative to my current situation. Now the thing about mountain biking (like skiing) is that the only way down - is DOWN! There was no alternative. Unsteady, still shaking and with terror in my eyes, I climbed on to my borrowed bike. Down I went. Turns out my mouth wasn't too dry to scream because out it came, followed by an overwhelming number of curse words. Nice introduction for the neighbors, huh? Hello, neighbors! Nice to meet ya!

It wasn't pretty. It wasn't easy. It was terrifying, but I admit that it was also exhilarating. After the initial steep, root, rock and trees in the path section, it did smooth out and get a bit easier. I eventually remembered to keep my pedals up and to position my body back on the bike. I didn't fall, but I did jump off a couple of times. I survived! Shhh! Don't tell Steve, but I might have even enjoyed myself, a little.

Grandma & Peyton playing with the stacking cups - a new favorite toy -
at our house Saturday afternoon


We had little time to recover before Gavin and Hazel arrived Saturday afternoon for our BBQ. Since they had just finished a long run (was it 15 miles?) themselves, they were in a similar state of physical shock. This in no way negatively influenced our appetites or our conversation. Our gourmet burgers were delicious and consumed at an alarming rate with room for dessert. Peyton adores his aunt and uncle and loved all the personal attention they gave him during their brief visit. Peyton says: I miss you already. Come back soon!!

Uncle Gavin & Peyton

Auntie Hazel & Peyton

Sunday was Peyton's pick. After a 2.5 hour morning nap he awoke ready to take on Lakefair. He wanted to see the carnival lights and watch all the people. He also wanted Mommy to get an elephant ear. Dear boy. Always thinking of his mommy!

Daddy & Peyton listening to music at Lakefair

What's in store for today? Rest. Recover. Stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment