Here's the scoop:
We met up with my friend, Wendy, and her baby girl in South Center several weeks ago. Peyton fell in love with Baby Julia, for many reasons, I'm sure. One of these reasons is probably because Baby Julia is the first "real" baby Peyton has met since he entered his "I love babies" faze. He calls them, "Wenny" and "Baby Goo-goo" and will randomly talk about them every few days. With a giant smile on his face he will exclaim, "Baby Goo-goo!" With prompting, he will even tell me, "I miss Baby Goo-goo!" That said, it was time for another get-together.
So, being that it was our 10 year college reunion weekend, we met up on the lovely U.P.S. campus for a nice long walk down memory lane. Having spent a school year back on campus during graduate school (2004-2005), it wasn't nearly as shocking for me to see all the change, but it was still amazing to witness the transformation the campus has undergone over the past 10 years. Our memory walk took us around campus passing our old residences, sorority house and the new dorms and academic buildings, right by the Field House and Baker Stadium (the field is apparently called, Peyton Field - was it always called this?) and with some meandering and discussion regarding it's location, we found ourselves in front of The Butter House (the big yellow off-campus house we both lived in our senior year). Finally, we were hungry for lunch and just like our undergraduate years, chose to pass by the S.U.B. and instead walked the several blocks it takes to get to the Proctor District and the top notch grocery store, Metropolitan Market (f.k.a. Queen Anne Thriftway) for lunch.
I never did get my camera out while we were together, but once Wendy and Julia left, Peyton and I had a few wiggles to get out before the car ride home. I let Peyton wiggle in his adorable toddler way and I snapped a few pictures of him, while we were still on the campus. (For all those alumni out there who might want a reference point, we are out in front of the S.U.B. on the parking lot side.)



UPS - The 10 Year Reunion Continues:
On Saturday morning, Steve got the call to meet up with a few buddies, who had heeded the call to stay the weekend on campus, in the dorms, and enjoy some formal reunion activities. So, for the second time in three days, Peyton and I (and Steve) drove back up to the U.P.S. campus. After a casual breakfast at The Hob Nob, an old favorite breakfast joint, we headed back to the campus to spend the day relaxing and reminiscing with some of our classmates. It was one of those incredibly gorgeous spring days in the Puget Sound and it felt great to be outside (and not home working - see below for the rest of the weekends post).
There was a giant inflatable bouncy house on site for the children. I'm not surprised that Peyton loved it. I am surprised, however, at how much he loved this bouncy house. Even with several other big kids bouncing and flailing their limbs and bodies all over the place, Peyton wasn't one bit shy, nervous or tentative about doing the same. If he wasn't in the bouncy house, he was looking for and running towards it! When he wasn't looking for Baby Goo-Goo, that is. He immediately started calling for Baby Julia as we drove up to the campus this second time. Did he recognize the scenery? How, after one brief visit, would he remember that this was where we met up with Wendy and Baby Julia?

No comments:
Post a Comment