Saturday, May 29, 2010

Mt. St. Helens

Here we are, starting out on our journey:
Steve, Me, Scott, Mike R., Mike C., Vicki


Steve and I were approached by a neighbor a few months back, to see if we were interested in climbing Mt. St. Helens. Steve jumped at the chance without a moments hesitation. I held my breath and said nothing. This was way out of my comfort zone and far beyond my current physical abilities. I didn't say yes, but I didn't say no either. I didn't really want to take on the challenge, but I really wanted to say that I did it. Days and then weeks passed with nothing more said about the endeavor. So, I tried to forget that the idea was ever brought up to us. But, I couldn't forget. Mt. St. Helens was always in the back of my mind. Would I really be able to climb a mountain?

Winter became spring, and the date for the climb was quickly upon us. I started walking, but around the block is definitely not up a mountain. Occasionally I jogged up and down the steep hill just beyond our neighborhood. Peyton doesn't last much beyond 20 minutes in the jog stroller (and that's with the best snacks to treat - or bribe - him) which wasn't doing much for building up my endurance, or confidence, for this all day hike. I most definitely had my work cut out for me.

Steve pulled his hamstring 3 weeks before the climb and wasn't sure he'd recover in time. Several of the original group decided to take a warm weather cruise instead, since there was still snow on the mountain. The state of the climb seemed as unstable as Steve's injury.

Then, some of us decided to take a training hike at Mt. Si a few weeks ago and got a boost of confidence, as well as a taste of the adrenalin that accompanies a good physical challenge. The weekend hike was followed by a full week of sun and many inspiring, motivating and threatening emails circulating the group to keep the scheduled climb on the calendar - or else!

After rehabbing his injury for over a week, Steve seemed as good as new. So, I added several long walks, in hiking boots, with Peyton on my back, to the list of weekly to-do's and we tested Steve's hamstring with a few bike rides towing Peyton behind. In no time, the Russell's felt ready to give it a go.

One week before the scheduled climb, a final commitment was made by four other neighbors. And so our group was formed. Weather permitting, six of us would attempt to summit Mt. St. Helens the following Saturday. Because of the late winter snow, the summer route was still closed, which left the winter route (about 2 miles longer overall and 1,000 feet steeper than the summer route) our only option.

So, last Saturday, May 22nd, we met up in our 'hood at 4:30am to begin one of the biggest challenges I've ever been faced with. By 8am we were geared up and beginning our climb. Finally, after 7 hours of a grueling uphill climb, in snow, we made it to the summit. One dedicated member of our group packed up a small bottle of wine and some cheese, so we enjoyed a brief celebratory toast at the top of the mountain, before beginning our equally tough, but thankfully much quicker descent, reaching the parking lot at 6:30pm.

Here the stats:
1 day
2 cars
6 neighbors
10.5 hours of hiking time
12 miles (mostly snow)
5,500 vertical feet (approx. 1,000/mile)

I've come a long way in the past year, physically. Even a couple of months ago, I was doubtful that I'd be ready and able to join in on this adventure. At some point, ready or not, I guess you just have to take a leap of faith. You have to just trust yourself. You have to simply try. I guess that's what I did. And guess what? I can climb a mountain after all!

Several people have asked me, "What does it feel like to be on top of the mountain?" Of course we all have our own experiences and perspectives. I've spent the last week thinking and reflecting on mine. This is what I've come up with:

Mystifying
Miraculous

StrenuousUncertain and Unsteady

Awesome
Exhausting

Mind Numbing/Altering
Breath taking (literally)

Persevering
False Hopes (at false summits)

ExposedWeak and Weary

VulnerableVery Small and Very Alone

On Top of the World!
Elite

ExhilaratingWonderful

Giddy
Liberating

Selfless...
...but also Selfish

Youthful/Alive
Hopeful and Dreamy

Spiritual/Other Worldly
Purposeful

Proud
Beautiful

4 comments:

  1. I am proud of you and us for making this happen. It was a joy to have you experience something with me, side-by-side, that I've always loved doing. Thanks love! Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering when you might post about your climb. Very cool. Congrats again on such a great personal accomplishment. What's next? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Looks like you had an amazing journey! Congrats, and way to go!

    ReplyDelete