Friday, December 17, 2010

T is for...


T is for...Tough, trying and tricky.

Turkey-We returned home from our holiday vacation and must have left Peyton in Michigan. The Peyton we returned home with is not one that I am familiar with.

Two-It seems that we are suddenly into the "Terrible Two's." Except that everyone I know says, "The two's are easy. Just wait until they are three!" Well, ok, but we're still two and from where I'm standing, three is a long ways away. So, bring on the twos!

Teeth-The last two K-9 teeth have made their way into Peyton's mouth and with an almost full set of toddler teeth chewing meat and many previously too difficult to eat items are suddenly easy to bite and bite he does. Hard! Twice last week he has bitten down on flesh. One time it was the flesh of his father. Another time it was the flesh of yours truly. I'm hopeful that we nipped that one in the bud. I'm not a fan of biting!

Tantrums-I've only just learned what a tantrum really is. A tantrum is your toddler choosing to spend 40 minutes on the changing table protesting a diaper change and then suddenly, with no warning and as if nothing had happened, lying down peacefully to wait for said diaper change to happen. (Long story short, my two year old would rather play than change his diaper and when I placed him on his changing table this week he began to wildly fling his body on mine as a means to get down to play so I warned him I was going to step away - to save myself - and watch him from across the room, at which time I guess he was smart enough not to climb down by himself, but stubborn enough to scream and cry and beg to play for 40 minutes. Side note: I guess I was stubborn enough to wait out 40 minutes of my life to make a point.)

Tree-Peyton loved that we got to decorate the Christmas Tree with ornaments last week and feeling like I have been more negative than positive and saying "no" far more than "yes" I decided to cut out little paper trees each day and Peyton can decorate them with his special sticker ornaments every time he "helps" me (change his diaper, for example). I will gleefully share that with a couple of minor exceptions, diaper changes have since been a breeze.

Talk-We were reminded yet again late last week that while we are thankful that our little guy is so verbal, it also comes at a price; a reality check for me, really. Our parenting philosophy is to offer choices, but obviously there are times when that isn't an option, or when your child carefully articulates something unacceptable to you. Anyway, as we sat at the table after dinner one night a few days ago (after a LONG day), Steve stated that he was going to go do something (what I don't recall) and without much of a pause Peyton responded that Steve's thing (whatever it was) "... is not one of Peyton's options." He was right, of course, but that's not my point. My point is this: do I really sound like that? and what a clever little bugger!

Time-The combination of over-stimulation and exhaustion from our travels and vacation, Peyton not feeling well (he returned home with a cold) and the usual time it takes to recover from a trip are all factors in this new behavior, I'm sure. His age and interest in trying on new behaviors for size is also a factor. Some days the clock just moves along - steady and predictable, but man, there are other days that just seem to move along at a snails pace and I find myself just willing them to end. You can guess what kind of days these are. How can I be so shocked that time is just flying by - is it really Christmas already? Yet some days seem to never end? Time really is the strangest thing. Fortunately, most of his stages/behaviors/obsessions seem to peak after 10-14 days, so I guess in this sense, time is on my side.

Thanks-There are many moments throughout the day that are incredibly joyful despite and including everything mentioned above. I often find myself sighing or taking a deep breath (maybe to tip toe around all of my kitchen pots and pans that are spread across the floor for make believe "baking") and thinking, "Some day, when I'm old and lonely, I'm going to walk into my kitchen and wish that it was filled with this mess and noise!" There is also that one moment at the end of every day. The house is settling. Peyton is sleeping. My own mind is starting to quiet and everything just seems perfect. I am so thankful for this little baby, now boy. This kid is a keeper!

T is for...Terrific!

3 comments:

  1. Katie - you are not alone.. there are days that I am pretty sure that the Devil has taken over Madeline's body and just when I think that I can't take any more there is calm.....even if it is for a few moments...it also sounds like our little ones will be great on the debate team...somehow I seem to get convinced of things and I am not sure how it happened..i keep telling myself that "this too shall pass"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very honest, and all too true post! I feel you, and assure you that you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautifully written, Katie. I found myself nodding frequently, chuckling at times and shaking my head with empathy. I want to say 'hang in there', but know that of anyone I know you are sure to have a good attitude and the patience needed to weather this gracefully. Peyton is a lucky - and terrific - little guy :) Miss you guys & hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete