I have to admit that I am not nearly as motivated to start solid foods with Allison, as I was with Peyton. There is a simplicity to exclusively breast feeding; less planning, less mess. Then there's the change in diapering as we know it. Since we continue to use cloth diapers (without a diaper service this time around), this is the number one reason for my reluctance to add real food to Allison's diet. However, Allison has been showing signs for the past couple of weeks that she's ready for food. Her passing gaze, the look of indifference at our food, has recently become an intense desire to partake. She's happiest during meal times if she can participate right at the table, never taking her eye off of my fork or spoon, as it lifts and lowers, depositing some tasty morsel or another from my plate straight into my mouth. More recently, she started reaching and grabbing for our plates, arms, utensils, desperate to get at our food. Allison still has her strong tongue thrust instinct, which makes me question her readiness to actually swallow, but she really does have the desire to start playing with and learning about food textures and flavors. So, we decided to give rice cereal a go on Monday night. Peyton was a great cheerleader and role model (even had to try his own bowl of rice cereal) and I now that it is all said and done, the actual event was a very exciting family affair!

No comments:
Post a Comment