November 29th - Allison is 15 Months
I've been busy, distracted, I apparently maxed out the free storage on my blog and then there's the fact that I've been off coffee for several seeks. A combination that has led to fewer postings, most of which lack narration and deep thought. It's probably a relief to some, a welcome change to others, to avoid any unnecessary scrolling past lengthy blog posts to just see photographs of the kiddos. Now, here I am, trying to dig up some thoughts and reflections for Allison (I managed to skip 12 months), as much for her, as for me. Yes, be warned. I did have a cup of coffee before I sat down. So, filters and sensors set aside, here goes nothing.
Allison, at 15 months, is more and more a little girl. She is so full of energy and wonder. She is brave and strong. She is easy-going and silly. She is curious and adventurous. She is easily delighted and equally delightful. She is loving and gentle. She is independent and unique. She is beautiful. We love her dearly.
Her broken arm is the obvious baby book notable this month. The whole ordeal lasted just shy of 3 weeks. She was remarkably calm and cooperative throughout her long appointments and examinations, she sat still for the x-rays and even sang and tapped her toes to the music playing while the technician set her arm in the cast. Aside from the challenge to keep her cast clean - not an easy task for this curious and very mobile 15-month old who has a fascination with the toilet - she seemed unfazed by her temporary accessory.
While she did break her arm (our fault, not hers), Allison is more steady and confident with her body and she would walk almost everywhere, if we let her. In fact, her tempo has quickened and she has little bursts of speed that move her little legs rapidly back and forth, carrying her across the room, running. She has also mastered twirling and enjoys walking backwards in her free time. Maybe by accident, maybe by sheer luck, but she has done a somersault on her own two times. The first roll: We took Peyton to an open gymnastics day and she must have watched someone do one, because she suddenly ran across the gym floor to a specific spot (I'm guessing the location of the previous somersault), then just as suddenly stopped, tucked her chin to her chest, bent over and rolled. The second: Was at home, her new cast accompanying her (or perhaps assisting her with it's weight). I was just as surprised with her agility and ability. It shouldn't surprise me. She enjoys moving: climbing, yoga, dancing, jumping. Moments of stillness are fleeting. This girl is on the go.
We weaned her off the bottle, a move that was a bit unpopular at first. She chose to retaliate by resisting the sippy cup for practically all feedings, but her morning milk. I think it was the whole milk she lacked enthusiasm for, rather than the sippy cup, which she willing drank water from. Like all challenges, it came and went. This one, fortunately, without much more thought and energy being spent on it. I'm not sure how, but we arrived at our intended destination, bottle free.
I have yet, however, to completely end breast feeding. I'm sure it's more for me than for her, but quitting completely is proving difficult. I still feed her once a day. Does she even get any milk? Not much. I crave our special moment together. That's all it really is, a moment. It's the one time when both of us actually stop moving and sit down. I take a few deep breaths and put my feet up. I feel her little body relax and surrender to immediate temptation to move and play. The closeness and warmth relaxes us both. Each day I wake up and wonder, will today be the day? Then she looks up at me with these wide eyes and infectious smile. I call it the "look." She signs "milk" and then says, "Mama." I ask, "You want Mama's milk?" She nods her head and throws in another smile, more mischievous this time, like she's getting away with something. She knows exactly what she wants. I know that she knows it. Any day could be that day. The end. The day that she just doesn't ask, or we just don't have our special cuddle. It wasn't today. So, for now, it still feels right.
Steve and I roll our eyes frequently because she seems to spend most of her verbal energy whining and grunting and pointing. She talks, a lot. Much of her "talk" is still babble and many of her actual vocabulary words are sounds. She repeats the sounds things make, instead of the actual word of the object (car = engine motor sound, cat = meow, etc...). She also attempts the first sound a word makes instead of attempting the whole word ("ssss" = sock or shoe). With the help and inspiration of big brother, Peyton, we all have an expansive vocabulary of signs. It continues to surprise me that Peyton is so interested in learning sign language and that Allison so easily adopts them into her vocabulary. She signs to communicate all day long. It is immensely helpful.
I am proud of this little girl and feel confident that she is developing as she should be. That said, her growth and weight gain continue to raise a red flag at her happy visits. We're searching for some answers, while remaining optimistic that there is nothing at all wrong with our little girl. Is it possible that "petite" may just be in her DNA?
A few favorite things:
Dress-up: Allison loves to dress-up, especially in hats. Her favorite outfit is Peyton's fireman jacket and fire hat. It's hard to keep her out of the dress-up box.
Helping: She's eager to try to participate or help in any and everything that she can. This is as exciting and it is frustrating for all of us. Peyton loves the prospect of her helping in his construction site or working along side him on a project. Clearly, their ideas of play differ drastically. Still, she's been able to work alongside us in the kitchen to make our favorite holiday snack, scrabble, and explore the wonders of the great outdoors, activating ALL of her senses.
Babies: Allie loves to hold her baby doll, kiss, rock and feed it. Seeing her cousin, Henry, a real baby, was a highlight for her this month, I'm sure.
Crayons: She discovered crayons. I took a few of the big ones out of our bin (that is now mostly stubs) so that Allie could have her few of her own. I put them in a zip-lock bag. I think she loves the baggie almost as much as her crayons. She carries it around everywhere. Sometimes the crayons come out of the bag, only to go back in again. Sometimes, she actually wants to use them to scribble on paper. Usually, she just wants to carry that bag of crayons around the house. As a rule we keep crayons at the table, under the watchful eye of an adult, just incase those crayons get a mind of their own and write on the wall. She is so resistant to this rule, that I've chosen, to just see what happens. So far she is happiest holding that prized baggie and wandering the house innocently.
The toilet is a tempting destination. Because we keep the bathroom doors closed she is so obviously interested in this forbidden fruit. Witnessing her big brother saddle the porcelain thrown with such purpose and poise, makes it all the more enticing. She attempts to slip past us at any given moment to sneak a peak in the least, or get a good finger splashing at best. When caught, she giggles delightfully and utters a mocking, "yuck, yuck, yuck!" in my direction. This never seems to get old.
Music and dancing - they keep her in motion. She loves them.
Her laugh is infectious and she uses it liberally.
It is a joy to watch her try new things, learn and grow every day.
![]() |
| A bit disheveled, but no lasting harm, from breaking her arm. |
![]() |
| Fire girl, Allie, to the rescue! |
| A little outfit that Daddy helped put together. |
![]() |
| Making and mixing scrabble. |
![]() |
| Getting down and dirty at the construction site. |
| Elation at Daddy's return from a weekend away. |
![]() |
| Rocking the baby. |





No comments:
Post a Comment