Friday, July 19, 2013

Mishaps to Remember

There wouldn't be before pictures because this memory isn't the kind that you plan ahead for.  You don't wake up and think, "Let's soak the living room rug, and the piano while we're at it, with the garden hose.  Now that's a good idea!"  No, you don't plan ahead for that mishap.  So, when your kids decide to make believe that they are firemen for the 1000 time, and they run outside to get the garden hose, don't assume it will be harmless, like all the previous play times.  When you hear the water turn on outside, run, don't walk, to shut all the exterior doors and windows, or maybe clarify a few rules first (here's one to start:  Never spray the garden hose inside the house.  Ever.) Then get out the camera. Luckily, when I tuned into my inner instinct, or maybe when I looked up and saw a puddle on the carpet with the door wide open, it occurred to me that something was just not right.   The good news:  1.  Thankfully, they had not been at their pretend play for long and our entry rug soaked up most of the water.  2. Peyton assured me that it was ok because the fire was almost out.  Phew.  Once we established some house rules and I assessed the damage (minimal), I enjoyed watching them play (and had a good laugh, too)




These "after" photos aren't anywhere near the caliber of the above incident.  I can see this happening even while I was attentively watching or participating.  Still, I think it's funny that when "I only turn my back for a second" the direction of play can take a drastically different turn.  After it caught my attention, I allowed and even watched from the corner of my eye, as the sidewalk chalk took on a new medium.  It was comical.  Mostly, I allowed the fun to continue so I could complete my lawn mowing chore.  After all, the kids were safe and having a really good time - together - which is kind of a rare thing right now.  



No comments:

Post a Comment