Token family photo in front of the Russell's Christmas TreeWe celebrated Christmas with Steve's family on Christmas Eve. After a leisurely morning at home, just the 3 of us, Steve's parents came over for family time and lunch. We treasured that time because dinner later was a bustle of activity and Nana and Papa were busy coordinating dinner for all of us and didn't get much time with our little guy.
The highlight of the afternoon was singing Christmas carols out of the big red Christmas book that Nana gave us a few years ago. We dutifully got it out every year and packed it carefully away again with all the Christmas decorations, but never read or enjoyed it until this year. For some reason, it fascinated Peyton. He would ask for "help" several times a day during the holiday season, which meant getting it down off the shelf and sitting on the floor with Peyton, to read it.
The highlight of the afternoon was singing Christmas carols out of the big red Christmas book that Nana gave us a few years ago. We dutifully got it out every year and packed it carefully away again with all the Christmas decorations, but never read or enjoyed it until this year. For some reason, it fascinated Peyton. He would ask for "help" several times a day during the holiday season, which meant getting it down off the shelf and sitting on the floor with Peyton, to read it.
I raced the clock home to get Peyton in bed before he turned into a pumpkin. The rest of the Russell clan headed to our church for the candlelight service. I thought I might feel sad, lonely or left out to be alone on Christmas Eve. Instead, once I got home, I felt complete and total bliss. After I cleaned up the house and finished wrapping a few more gifts, I enjoyed a hot cup of tea and the peace and quiet that only a moment of solitude can bring. After all, "Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse."
No comments:
Post a Comment