Weight - 10 lbs. 3 oz.
Height - 22.5 in.
Head Circumference - 37.6 cm.
Had first of many vaccinations.
Enjoyed Thanksgiving, her first major holiday.
Is happy, healthy and thriving.

Allison is now nursing longer and keeps it down. She doesn't seem to have or be bothered by her reflux anymore and I no longer keep her upright for 20-30 minutes post feeding. I'm not sure when this change happened, but as I reflect, her ability to keep a meal down does seem to coincide with better nursing. Contrary to what one might think, her better nursing does not coincide with better sleep.

Complain? Why, yes, I do. A lot. I feel like I don't sleep at all. Evidently, my records show that I do, a little. Allie has slept through the night a few times (5, 7 and even a 9 hour stretch)! Funny how I can't seem to sleep through the night even when given the chance. What I take from this realization is that there is hope for sleep in the future.
Allie has even made my record book for going all day without napping a handful of times (5, 7 and even a 9 hour stretch)! How is this possible? She's a baby. Babies sleep.
These long stretches obviously lead to an overstimulated and overtired baby. They almost always end with "crashes" for several hours (3-5) at a time (usually in the swing, usually during the waking hours). Peyton and I both love these unpredictable and uninterrupted hours. They're like a gift. An oddly strange and confusing, yet pleasant surprise for our day. We can't make them happen. They just happen and we have to be ready and take advantage when they occur.

Complain? Why, yes, I do. A lot. I feel like I don't sleep at all. Evidently, my records show that I do, a little. Allie has slept through the night a few times (5, 7 and even a 9 hour stretch)! Funny how I can't seem to sleep through the night even when given the chance. What I take from this realization is that there is hope for sleep in the future.
Allie has even made my record book for going all day without napping a handful of times (5, 7 and even a 9 hour stretch)! How is this possible? She's a baby. Babies sleep.
These long stretches obviously lead to an overstimulated and overtired baby. They almost always end with "crashes" for several hours (3-5) at a time (usually in the swing, usually during the waking hours). Peyton and I both love these unpredictable and uninterrupted hours. They're like a gift. An oddly strange and confusing, yet pleasant surprise for our day. We can't make them happen. They just happen and we have to be ready and take advantage when they occur.
Since she prefers to sleep in the swing (all of her longest stretches occur here) and it's tough to replicate this motion, or bring the swing with us wherever we go. It's not surprising that Allison is not a sleep on the go kind of baby.
Like her big brother, she also seems to despise the car. Almost from the moment we put her in the scream machine (aka carseat) she demonstrates the power of her lungs. It's a very helpless feeling to sit and listen to her endless sobs and despite my best efforts, know that I'm unable to make the sobbing stop...unless I stop the car and take her out. That is the one consistent fix. Poor Peyton is a trooper. He has stopped asking, "Mommy will you shoosh her?" and is now often overheard trying his loudest and best white noise "shoosh" sound on his own. I love his determination to "make it [her] stop," his other pleading and frequent request.

Neither Allie nor I have arranged any sensible, or regular schedule. I may need to revisit the parenting books on this. I thought we just sort of came into a schedule together - a dependable morning nap presenting itself first. Maybe I'll have to carve this out for us.
Like her big brother, she also seems to despise the car. Almost from the moment we put her in the scream machine (aka carseat) she demonstrates the power of her lungs. It's a very helpless feeling to sit and listen to her endless sobs and despite my best efforts, know that I'm unable to make the sobbing stop...unless I stop the car and take her out. That is the one consistent fix. Poor Peyton is a trooper. He has stopped asking, "Mommy will you shoosh her?" and is now often overheard trying his loudest and best white noise "shoosh" sound on his own. I love his determination to "make it [her] stop," his other pleading and frequent request.
Neither Allie nor I have arranged any sensible, or regular schedule. I may need to revisit the parenting books on this. I thought we just sort of came into a schedule together - a dependable morning nap presenting itself first. Maybe I'll have to carve this out for us.
After much stress and anxiety on our part and tears on her part, Allison does FINALLY take a bottle. Yay! She will not take a binky. During the day, she is often observed slurping her hand. She enjoys sucking her right fist best, while grabbing fist fulls of hair with her left hand. Although this is exhausting for her and doesn't last long. I hope she finds a thumb or finger - soon!
She's getting stronger by the day. Her tummy time seems almost enjoyable and her endurance for this is getting better. She is also reaching out further and gripping harder. We enjoy doing baby yoga together. When we started several weeks ago she couldn't do a sit-up (I gently help her sit up by pulling her up with her arms) without much assistance and a hand behind her head. Now she can hold her own head up and can almost support her whole self while standing (almost).
Allison also surprised us by rolling (front to back) this month. We thought it was a fluke and wouldn't be repeated again for a long time. She's since rolled several more times.
She likes the lights and the mylar balloon in our living room, as well as the television - anything bright and shiny captivate her attention. Allie is also very aware of and in tune with the voices and sounds around her, especially big brother, Peyton.
Life with our girl really is a wonderful thing.

I love it. Hang in there. It takes another parent that has dealth with TOTAL lack of sleep for month after month...after year...to understand. It WILL happen at some point. She is a total sweetie. And I can't wait to hear her giggle! We have to get together soon!
ReplyDelete