Help me remember, when I feel it's a chore,
The time will come when I'll hold baby no more,
Asleep on my chest, the crib refused, the blanket,
the pacifier, gone unused.
What better place is there to lay baby's head
Than against my heart, my arms her bed?
For children grow up and leave us behind
With only memories left to remind us
Of midnight walking and predawn rocking,
Of sweet, crying babies unable to sleep.
So, keep me patient and keep me awake
While I cradle this dear child,
And don't let me begrudge another long night
With this baby, my darling, my joy, my delight.
With thanks to the original author,
Jan Dunlap
Asleep on my chest, the crib refused, the blanket,
the pacifier, gone unused.
What better place is there to lay baby's head
Than against my heart, my arms her bed?
For children grow up and leave us behind
With only memories left to remind us
Of midnight walking and predawn rocking,
Of sweet, crying babies unable to sleep.
So, keep me patient and keep me awake
While I cradle this dear child,
And don't let me begrudge another long night
With this baby, my darling, my joy, my delight.
With thanks to the original author,
Jan Dunlap
Leave it to a mom and dad to find just the right words to share with their exhausted daughter and son-in-law, struggling to keep their heads up and eyes open! The perfect words. The perfect reminder. The perfect Thanksgiving. Thanks for a wonderful day and dinner, Mom and Dad!
Peyton with our family "thanks giving" turkey. Each of us contributed a hand print and wrote down a thing or two for which we were thankful.
My favorite, was Peyton's, of course, "I am thankful for all my life of playing and building." Later at dinner he said, "I have everything I need." I'm sure he was referring to his dinner plate, but Steve and I locked eyes and nodded our approval. Good reminder, buddy.
We do have everything we need. For that I am very thankful.

No comments:
Post a Comment