Thursday, March 1, 2012

Allison - Six Months

Our most notable accomplishment this months is that Allison now sleeps exclusively in her crib. No more swing! It was interesting to discover that the swing was losing a bit of its mojo and not because Allie was outgrowing her need for speed and movement, but because she was outgrowing the swing. As she got bigger, it got slower. There was also an unfortunate swing "incident" that I'm not ready to admit to just yet (but will gladly remind the next mother that there are warning stickers for a reason), that left me quite fearful of our current sleeping arrangement. So, we arrived at this milestone when the batteries for the swing died, yet again after a couple of nights with very little sleep. Every time we recharged them it was with the same nagging voice in the back of my head reminding me that I was only prolonging the inevitable. We decided to just quit cold turkey. It wasn't an easy change, but it was a relief to be free of that dependency. With a vacation in the future, we were feeling the pressure. Now that she sleeps in a crib, we can actually leave the house, on occasion.

She's so curious and aware of her surroundings. While I've felt a strong connection to Allison for some time, I'm only now feeling like I'm getting to know who she is. I love watching her work with such determination to get things just out of her reach and once she achieves the goal, how she tries to "play" with equal determination. I marvel at how she figures out how things work, cause and affect, and enjoy her pleasure and pride right along with her!

Other firsts this month:
She has a sturdy base (the cloth diapers help) and can sit up without assistance.

If the rice cereal mixed with breast milk to a soupy consistency is consider "solid" then I can tell you that, yes, we have started Allison on solid foods this month. She is fascinated with the food, but really does everything but eat it.

First haircut (first lock was immediately placed in an envelope and tucked proudly and protectively away...now if I can just remember where exactly?!).

Has mastered her first recognizable sounds/words (without having mastered the correlations between the word and the person however): mama, nana, dada and has a great screech!

With more consistency to our days - slightly fewer feedings some days, longer stretches of sleep, regular naps starting to form and carve out a routine for our days - we're starting to feel like there just may be life after childbirth after all!

This is a post about Allison, but how can I not include Peyton too. Allison is his number one fan and he continues to be an affectionate, caring, helpful and quite proud big brother. She really, truly adores him.

I just love my little family.

6 months is such a fun age!

1 comment: