We spent most of our last 2 nights without kids at the luxurious Bacara Resort just a few miles north of Santa Barbara. We enjoyed the quiet mornings to lounge around and read or watch a movie, our tummy's the only thing grumbling; finally loud enough to get us up and moving for the day. The private beach was a pleasant place to take a leisurely stroll in the cool, damp sand. The resort property offered trails and paths to meander to our hearts content. The food was fabulous. The pool serene. The views spectacular. The only thing to do was relax and enjoy our time alone. We were, after all, celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary.
This destination resort was a very different sort of vacation for us. We had to give ourselves permission to change pace from that of our everyday life. Instead of constant motion and endless lists of things to do, our only agenda items were to slow down and enjoy the luxuries around us. There were so many.
Funny though. It wasn't the plush robe and fussy slippers, nor the fancy room with all the amenities that felt luxurious. It was the mere fact that we were alone. With no kids to account for, we settled right into meeting our own needs for a change. Luxury my friends, is a daily shower, a good book and some (almost) uninterrupted sleep.
While I didn't bring the baby, I did have, for better or worse, the milk source. Try as I might, I just couldn't figure out how to hit snooze on the milk flow each morning. And I wasn't willing to just quit cold turkey. So, yes, there was that to content with. But it wasn't anything that Medela, a trusty companion (and breast pump), couldn't fix. That inconvenience aside, we did feel more relaxed and human again come check-out time!
Happy 9th Anniversary, Steve. I love you.




So glad to hear you enjoyed Bacara! Happy anniversary!
ReplyDelete