A few weeks ago I was alone in the car with Allison and seized the opportunity to listen to my own music for a change. Peyton usually politely demands, "Puh-leeze turn your music off," preferring to tell me elaborate stories in exchange for a ride to wherever it is we happen to be going together. But since Allison screams no matter what we listen to, I thought I'd give it a go, almost surrendering to the battle of the scream before the battle even began. Instead, I realized as I arrived at our destination, I enjoyed a few moments of real music. Not kid music competing with kid talk from the back seat. Not kid music drowned out by melodramatic screaming from the back seat. Not a combination of the two. But, a nice relaxing little drive. I may even have completed a thought from start to finish. Maybe. Evidently Dave Mathew's Band worked like magic on our baby girl. I tried it again for our next drive. It failed to produce the same result. Darn. Dave Mathew's was a one hit wonder for Allison and I was back to square one as far as car rides were concerned.
Then, by some miracle, the same mix CD was on in the car when Allison, Peyton and I ventured out a few days later. This time, David Gray, "Please forgive me," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekgb5oJSobU) was playing. I'm so conditioned for the screaming, crying and frustration while I drive that it once again took me a bit to make the connection. Actually, it wasn't until the song ended and the next one began, along with the tears, that the realization hit me like a ton of bricks. Quickly I reset the CD and the crying stopped. As long as the song plays, she's happy. The moment it fades away, she cries. I wonder, is it the steady pulse? The soothing tones? The accent? Whatever it is, it's magic! Peyton has even decided he likes the song and has started to sing along. I love the words and find them ironically fitting to my life. It will come as no surprise when I confess we now have the song on repeat. As long as she's happy, Peyton's happy. If they're happy, I'm happy. It really has become music to my ears!
Driving has become a somewhat more tolerable exercise towards freedom once again. Now, if we could just get ourselves dressed and out of the house without the tears. No, that's probably pushing the envelope. I'll take the small victories where I can get them. Yes, the month has been another blessed one."Please Forgive Me"
Please forgive me
If I act a little strange
For I know not what I do.
Feels like lightning running through my veins
Every time I look at you
Every time I look at you
All my words are falling short
And there's so much I want to say
Want to tell you just how good it feels
When you look at me that way
When you look at me that way
Moving out across the bay
Like a stone I fall into your eyes
Deep into that mystery
Deep into some mystery
I got half a mind to die
So I won't ever have to lose you girl
Won't ever have to say goodbye
I won't ever have to lie
Won't ever have to say goodbye
Whoa, oh oh oh, I
Whoa, oh oh oh, I
If I act a little strange
For I know not what I do
Feels like lightning running through my veins
Every time I look at you
Every time I look at you

No comments:
Post a Comment