Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Week of the Snowman

There was a rumor about town last week that snow was headed our way for the weekend. Peyton and I found that hard to believe since our week had been lovely for a change - blue skies and sunshine. Still, the prospect of some flurries made us giddy with excitement. As soon as the Winter Solstice came and went last month and we told Peyton that it was officially winter, he's been talking about snow. When you are learning about the seasons, winter time=snow time. I was hoping good old Mother Nature wouldn't disappoint. Still, being the skeptic that I am and also familiar with the disappointment of eagerly awaiting the snow predicted by the weather man and watching only rain materialize before my eyes, I wanted to create a diversion. So, last week was "snowman" week. It turned out to be a lot of fun, a great pick-me-up from our post-holiday rut, and evidently the perfect activity to bring on the real stuff!

It turns out that if you're out of bagels there is an alternative menu choice: bread. Peyton: "It's ok, Mom. We can make square snow men out of bread!" (Stated after I told him we couldn't have a snowman lunch the second day because "we were out of bagels.") I found this to be a clever and fine suggestion that Peyton came up with all on his own and another great example of how he outsmarts me (or tricks me) daily into doing things I hadn't planned on doing. Wait, who's in charge here anyway?

Peyton, working on our snowman craft:
The A-Bottle-Able Snowmen

while Allie watches intently.
The somewhat finished product!
They are really much cuter in person and fairly easy to make with a 3-year old.
(See: http://familyfun.go.com/magazine/familyfun-magazine-archive/familyfun-december-january-2012/the-a-bottle-able-snowmen-1030092/)


There was even a play-doh snowman, or two, constructed in the latter part of last week.

However fun and exciting the above snowman activities turned out to be, they all paled in comparison to making a snowman out of the real thing! Lucky for us, Mother Nature was listening and Mother Nature did provide.


Bring on the snow!




No comments:

Post a Comment