Saturday, September 27, 2014

Letter to my daughter on her 3rd Birthday

September 27, 2014

Dear Allison,

You are 3-years old.  Wow!  Somehow, right before my eyes, you magically transformed from the delightful toddler I came to know so well; to the bright eyed, energetic, brave, kind, silly, inquisitive, observant, clever, fun-loving and beautiful preschooler before me.  

This has been a difficult year for our family.  You have weathered the transitions and challenges surprisingly well.  I'm in awe of your courage, independence and resiliency.  These are three wonderful qualities I see in you.  Hold on to these.  They will get you through many obstacles in your life.

In just one year your vocabulary has exploded.  You now speak in paragraphs, initiate and participate in lengthy conversation and use big vocabulary words and multisyllabic words larger than your age.  You are complimented regularly on your linguistics - rightfully so.

You have also transitioned from longing to go to school (with Peyton) and being Peyton's awesome side-kick and little sister, to starting out in your very own preschool, with your very own friends, independent of Peyton.

Whenever Peyton's gone, you miss him.  You adore him.  For better or worse, you both seem inseparable.  Still, when you're alone, I see you shine.  You seem a bit quieter, a bit calmer, but also a bit more of your own unique 3-year-old self.  I can't wait to explore and learn about your world with you this year, as well as get to know more about Allison.

For 3-years, your whole life, it's been Mommy, Peyton and Allison.  The 3 of us, most of the time.  We had to work hard at carving out time alone, just the 2 of us, or even more challenging, Mommy, Daddy and Allie time.  This year, there is more possibility for us to enjoy special time, just us.  I look forward to it.

Physically, you move and control your body with such athleticism, confidence and grace.  You love to move - run, jump, balance, bike, climb, dance, twirl, leap, semi.  On a smaller scale, you have recently taken an interest in writing.  You mimic writing with squiggles [\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/~~~~~], but can also leave your mark with an "A" and "O".

You enjoy books, but rarely want the same story repeated.  You never have.  When something doesn't grab your attention right away, you quickly discard one book, reaching for the next until something keeps you interested.

Other interests are music, t.v./movies - you love screen time!, dress-up, trains, play-kitchen, babies, yoga dvd's, water play, "helping" with chores.  You have a vivid imagination - that, paired with your incredible vocabulary -is tirelessly, and endlessly entertaining, for you and for us!

You know your "ABC's" by song and can identify several letters (A, M, P, S, K, O).  You also can count into the 20's, 30's with prompting. 

Whenever I pull out the camera, you turn away!  Sometimes you'll force a smile.  Occasionally, you'll look and flash momentarily, the most lovely, infectious, sweet smile and look at my lens with your bright blue eyes.  Those moments always melt my heart.  

Food, water, play, life is one big, fun experiment.  You like to try new things and do things all by yourself.  You have quite an independent streak; sense of humor, too.  Clothing is optional, and traded and changed often throughout the day.

Okey-gokey and Olee-lowly are your imaginary friends.  They are the leading roles in many of your dramatic stories and play.  They also seem to show up when things aren't going so well and seem to instigate and cause conflict and problems.  Sometimes, they need to take a break because they aren't following the rules.

You love to hear about when you were a baby.  Together, we've browsed through your incomplete baby book and a few actual photos we have lying around.  Your interest has motivated me to compile moments and notes in your baby book.  Hopefully, this blog will will satisfy some of your questions and desires about you and your life growing up.

Some big milestones this year:
-First trip to Mexico
-Mommy's surgery
-Nanny Care
-Fully day-time potty trained
-Transitioned to Toddler Bed
-Started Preschool

I hold sweet memories of you as a toddler in my heart and etched forever in my mind. I am so proud of the little girl you are today.  I look forward with anticipation (equal parts excitement, anxiousness and expectation) to your future.

I hope you can listen to your own heart and follow your own dreams.  This is your life and I feel blessed to be your mom.  I will always, always love you.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment