Sunday, September 28, 2014

Letter to my son on his 6th Birthday

September 2, 2014

Dear Peyton,

Your 5th year has been full.  Full of many magical moments, special memories, lots of firsts and milestones, laughter, adventure, friendships, and learning.   Friends and socialization a big part of your year.  

As the summer comes to a close, I see before me an almost 6-year old, a kindergartener, starting out on a whole new adventure.

You are curious, a good listener, an observer and you aren't afraid to ask questions.  You are kind and thoughtful, social and silly.  While often serious and deep in thought (creative and imaginative), you also enjoy being silly and have a wonderful laugh!

This summer you have taken an interest in being more physical with your body and have enjoyed sports, especially your tennis lessons.  A surprising result is a greater sense of self-confidence.  I am proud of your courage and perseverance.  Many activities seemed scary to you (or have in the past).  You chose tennis.  You felt like quitting a few times, then changed your mind, and enjoyed each weekly lesson, completing the whole summer session.  I enjoyed watching you challenge yourself and improve.  More importantly, I enjoyed watching you try again and again and could see your confidence shine, enthusiasm swell and pride build - rightfully so.

You love school and learning.  I am excited for you as you start kindergarten; nervous, too.  You will be fine, and thrive, I know.  But, I will miss you.  For all of you 6 years, our life, our schedule, our days, have been about you and your needs.  We will each embark on this next journey, separately from one another, which we are ready to do.  It's a big change:  Exciting.  Different.  Good.  Healthy.  Natural. But, it's still change, which can be hard.  Letting go is hard.  

It has also been challenging, of course.  Challenges - they will always be there.  

Look ahead and walk forward.  Reach out and accept the challenges and changes that stand in your way.  Try new things.  Fail.  Get back up.  Learn.  Try again.  Make goals - some you will meet, some you won't.  Guess what?  Some goals and expectations you will exceed beyond, but only if you keep moving forward, dreaming, trying, believing.  Believe you can; you will.  Believe in you.  I know that I do.

No matter what, I'll be here for you and I will love you.  

I will always, always love YOU.

Love, 
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment