Saturday, December 5, 2009

Waxy Wonder

Reminding me to slow down this holiday season and enjoy the simple pleasures
all around us, every day of the year, like coloring!


The other day, Peyton woke up from his afternoon nap before I had finished running around taking care of too many things all at once that seemed so important at the time and yet I can't think of a single thing I was trying to do at that moment, now that it's two days later. That's how important they were. Anyway, I was hoping to buy myself just a few more minutes so I got out the coloring crayons. We've had them out once or twice before. They were intriguing enough to keep Peyton busy for a handful of seconds, hardly any more. Genius, I thought and promptly patted myself on the back.


They turned out to be so much more than a genius distraction. When I looked at the clock 45 minutes later, I couldn't believe my eyes! This "filler" activity, that I had completely taken for granted, was truly something to marvel about. Peyton and I had both been transported out of the totally unnecessary, frantic state of unimportant business and caught up in the waxy, wonderful moment of Crayola color crayons. And what a beautiful moment it was.


What I had hoped would buy me a few extra minutes turned out to be over an hour of crayon coloring and exploration time for both of us. I think our play only ended after an hour because Daddy came home from work. I was as mesmerized watching Peyton, as he was at playing with the crayons. He scribbled for a few minutes, long enough to complete his first drawing, after I showed him how to do it, but mostly he: looked at, touched, licked, arranged, rearranged, placed them on the floor, then individually back on the table, and sat forever, it seemed, taking each crayon carefully in and out of their box.

At one point I even got out a few stickers that were almost as exciting as the crayons, almost.

Peyton's first scribble drawing

I love those unplanned, unpredictable moments that make life stand still; that transport me back into the mentality of that little girl I used to be; that remind be of what really is important and make me forget about everything I think is important, but is absolutely no. I had forgotten how much I love to color; how therapeutic it can be. Can't remember? Try it! I hope we all can enjoy a few more of these precious moments in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment