Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day

I enjoyed a fabulous Mother's Day weekend. Yes, lucky me. I got a whole weekend.

On Saturday, I got to escape any household, mother and wife responsibilities and get away for the day. I piled in the car with a few of my neighbors and drove to our destination, just passed North Bend, and quite possibly the busiest hike in the Cascade Mountains, Mount Si. It was a lovely, spring day and the perfect temp for hiking. I enjoyed getting to know my neighbors a bit better and really thrived on the opportunity to breathe the fresh air and work up a good sweat. It was also refreshing to realize that I was, in fact, in much better shape than I had previously thought. I'm still hesitant, but my goal of joining a group to climb Mount St. Helens in a couple of weeks, seems almost possible. There was still some lingering snow towards the top of the hike, making it slick and tricky, but doable. With the exception of sharing the trail with the masses, it was an exhilarating day.

Pre-hike

Mid-hike

Enjoying the view at the top

The evening brought us together with dear friends for a BBQ and to enjoy a lovely sunset on the Puget Sound. It was the perfect end to a lovely day. I enjoyed being in the moment, instead of behind a camera, and have no pictures to share.


On Sunday, since our mother's had plans of their own, we were able to enjoy a leisurely day, just the 3 of us. We missed not celebrating with our moms, but it is a rare and beautiful thing when the 3 of us are home together, on a gorgeous spring day, with nothing to do on the calendar, but pass the time. After a delicious breakfast and latte, both made especially for me by my dear husband, we packed up the bike trailer, and Peyton, and headed out for an enjoyable bike ride. We meandered through town on our way down to the local farmer's market for a picnic lunch and then back home for a nice long nap. It was a day of bliss for me.


Although, it doesn't really feel like Mother's Day when I don't even get to see and hug my own mother, or any of those other fabulous mother-like women in my life. So, here's a shout out to all of those fabulous "mothers" out there who inspire me and have helped to shape me into the mother I am becoming. Happy Mother's Day to all of you!

To my mom, I appreciate the job you have done and are continuing to do every day of my life, mothering me. You are an awesome mother. I have a lot to still learn from you. I'm doing the best job that I know how to do and I thank God that you live so close to guide me and teach me on an almost daily basis. Thank you, Mom. I love you dearly.

Selfishly, I couldn't have asked for nicer weather, or a better day with my boys, than the one I got, on Mother's Day.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! Happy to hear you had a great day with your two boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother Day Katie and Steve.. Nice hat hahaha

    ReplyDelete