Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Allison - The Second Month

Two months has come and gone. Two months. So much change can happen in as many months. Then again, so little change can happen when you're waiting desperately for it.

During the the passage of time from month one to month two, our baby girl has grown out of the newborn stage of life in so many ways. She is more baby than newborn now, as she is filling out and becoming stronger, alert and interactive, learning more about the world, every day.

Then, there's the change we're anxiously awaiting. The change that can't come soon enough. When bursts of sleep become stretches. When there's a clear difference between night sleep and day sleep. When we all can look forward to and depend on sleeping regularly. When I can rely on Allison to stay asleep when I lay her in the crib, even for a few hours, so I can catch a bit of shut eye too. Sleep. Without sleep, I do not recognize the person I see staring back at me in the mirror. She has dark circles under her eyes, more gray hair by the day, frowns too much, sleeps too little. Allie is working on hour 4 of her morning nap (in her swing) as I write. I still wonder why this can't happen at night and how we will ever leave the house if she only sleeps in her swing.

Here are my notes, senseless scribbles, really, made in the darkness several nights ago about our baby girl and her second month of life:

She loves the bath (when she get's one).
We've discovered that days can go by. We lose count.
Then wonder, when did Allie last get a bath?
Her skin is fabulous, I think, as a result.


Steve got out the Bumbo chair the other day. I was surprised that he would even consider this at such a young age. Turns out the back is high enough to support her head. Her neck is getting stronger by the day and she loves being able to sit up and watch her big brother.
Already having baby gear around the house this time around has given us the opportunity to use it earlier. Since I don't have the same luxury of sitting around holding baby all the time, use it we do!
As with most things "baby" Peyton wanted to try it out too.

She's discovered her hands. When items are placed in her palm (toys, fingers, big brother even likes to put his nose there) she's ready to start gripping them. She has started to reach out to grab things of interest just a few inches away. I've even caught her trying to suck away at her fist...since she doesn't take a binky (but sure does like to suck) it would be a welcome skill, if she would find her thumb... (you can remind me later that I may actually have wished for this to happen).

Big brother LOVES to include her in his activities. Obviously there are few that she can be included in. However, Peyton recently discovered that he can read to her! He's taken a liking to (and is really quite good) at story telling. So, he shows Allie (or any willing participant) the pictures while he tells these elaborate (and long) stories! Little sister LOVES to listen. It's a match made in heaven. She may love it too much. Allie seems to really be tuned in and alert so much so these days that the bustle and commotion of the day, that use to lull her to sleep, now is way too stimulating and interrupts her naps.

When given the space and time (rare) she's enjoying her exercise and tummy time. Allie is getting quite strong and is holding her head up remarkably well. I guess she doesn't have much choice in the matter if she wants to withstand Peyton's aggressive love and affection, which she is a constant recipient of.

Allison has an incredible smile. These smiles are given out freely, often accompanying our "conversations." Both her smiles and coos are becoming more and more frequent. She's lucky to have conversation happening around her constantly, because I fear that my attention is too rarely directed to her. She's also had some great giggles-heard only in her sleep so far. Can't wait for that first real one to come along!

Other notes, to date:

She won't take a bottle. A frustrating fact for all of us at this point. It makes it pretty tough for me to leave her. Especially since she still really prefers to eat small "snacks" throughout the day. She'll nurse one side for a few minutes. I still have to keep her upright for a good 15-20 minutes following a feeding to help her keep it down. Then, withing another 1.5-2 hours she's ready to feed again.

I've watched her cheeks fill out, her eyebrows and more hair grow in (still seems a bit red in certain light), her eyelashes get dark and she's outgrown the newborn size.

She is obviously more and more alert by the day, but still seems to do some of her best sleep during the day (will often take a 3-5 hour nap) in her swing. As far as I can tell, we haven't developed any sense of routine. I can't tell you when she might nap, or want to feed, other than at any given moment she may do both. At night she prefers to sleep on me.

She drools, blows bubbles and has a neat trick where she foams at the mouth. She's even blown some of her first raspberries! Peyton spit up a lot. He did not drool.

She loves hearing and watching her big brother. We still have to watch him like a hawk, he's unpredictable, but on occasion, only Peyton has been able to soothe her by he song and voice. It's very sweet how tuned into him she is.

She likes story time and play time. She can track with eyes, her black and white picture cards while you move them slowly back and forth and up and down in front of her.

She also has some of her happiest moments while resting on her changing table.

A not so happy moment, getting her first of many vaccinations at her 2-month wellness appointment.

She did prove, on the eve of her 2-month birthday, that she is capable of sleeping. She slept 8 hours straight, in her crib! Just the one time. There is hope for the future....

No comments:

Post a Comment