Friday, October 12, 2012

Beauty and Bounty

"At least I didn't forget to feed the children!" I exclaimed more than once this summer as I looked down at dried out flower pots, plants over-run with weeds, a lawn in need of more than a cut, and overgrown foliage in desperate need of attention.  When we had the time and energy we did what we could.  Still, I felt relieved when fall officially arrived (according to the calendar, not the weather - hasn't that been exceptional?!).  While I don't look forward to the inevitable long, cold days that lie ahead for us, I am looking forward to letting go of the added responsibility of tending to the plant life around here, at least for a few months.   

Around the same time that I stopped writing "weed" and "mow" on my to-do list, Peyton called me outside one evening to check out the clouds.  He was so excited.  "Mommy, come outside and look at the clouds!  Wouldn't it be so fun to fly way up there?"  He then moved on to enjoy the sunset and thought that it was all "just so pretty"!  I just couldn't deny that beckoning call, so I headed outside.  Together, we looked up at the sky.  He was right.  It was so pretty.  


As I then wandered around the backyard in the warmth of the setting sun, I found, much to my surprise, beauty and bounty! Maybe it was the way the light was setting on the yard.  Or maybe it was because of the exceptional fall weather that had nursed back to life, much of what I had given up on.  Or maybe it was enjoying life in the moment, like my child.  Or maybe I was just seeing the yard, for the first time in many months, as it really was, a joy, not a chore.  

I raced back inside to grab my camera and enjoyed a few more lingering minutes playing outside with Peyton.   We both entered into our own little fantasy worlds - I pretended I was a photographer.



















No comments:

Post a Comment